Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cocoa beach? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58727-cocoa-beach.html)

JUSTONCE 09-08-2003 10:39 AM

cocoa beach?

I need to get outa Ohio so my buddies and I are thinkin cocoa beach, Whats the deal there. Cost of living, crime, atmosphere, women, docking costs. Any info is appreciated.

Shah Mat 09-08-2003 11:02 AM

My brother lives in Cocoa Beach and when I went to visit him I asked "Where are all the hot rod boats"? He told me that the manatee zones had speed limits and that wasn't much pleasure boating around without going into the Atlantic. He works for the Sea Ray plant on Merit Island. The cost of living from what I saw is much cheaper than hear near DC, but a salary is also lower too.
I'll call my brother and make sure it's ok, if so, I will pm his e-mail address to you.
Joey

THRILLSEEKER 09-08-2003 11:08 AM

LEAVING OHIO! Jeez, did you piss off the mafia again?:p

If you move to Cocoa, I will come visit you, good surfing;)

You could always get a job at Ron Jon's
:D

Iggy 09-08-2003 11:20 AM

Cocoa is nice seaside town.
Not much industry. It's mostly tourist oriented.
The only big companies are NASA, Grumman and Harris Corp..
Most of the people I know that live in that area work in the Orlando area which is about an hour plus drive.
If you live on the barrier island you have to plan for evacuation if a hurricane hits or comes real close. And that's a constant threat from June 1st to December 1st.

JUSTONCE 09-08-2003 12:16 PM

Thanks guys.

CigDaze 09-08-2003 01:13 PM

Honestly, my impressions of Cocoa are Lame. It's a sleepy little community on the beach, that's about it. The only thing that puts that place on the map is NASA and Ron Jon's Surf Shop...Whoopty-friggin-doo.

Go North to Daytona or Jax, or South to West Palm, Lauderdale, Miami or even better, the Gulf Coast for some action.

ChrisK 09-08-2003 01:38 PM

Why cocoa? Is there something you have in mind in that area? Cocoa is kind of a smalltownnothingtodo kinda place... Surfing is great, other than that... no much else. I would go farther south to the lauderdale area, or the west coast if you are set on living in a coastal area. Daytona is a bit, well, dirty... I just would not live there...

THRILLSEEKER 09-08-2003 01:40 PM

GULF COAST FOR SOME ACTION

gulf coast sounds great, NOT!

:D :p

:eureka: just buy a tent and live in Big Pine Key, they have year round bow season on key deer now, so food will be cheap:eek: :eek: :D

Tim G. 09-08-2003 01:59 PM

Cocoa is nice if you are looking for quiet, and enjoy trolling with your Minnkota...

SE Florida is nice. Look between Stuart and Miami...

Check out Delray Beach. Small nice town with plenty to do and not so many spanish speaking people.

How do you intend to finance this relo? If you need a job you are going to be far better off in the Palm Beach, Broward or Dade counties..

Cough up more about your situation and I'll be happy to share what knowledge I have about sunny Florida.

Oh, if you can swing it.. Move to the KEYS!
Ya'll haven't been boating until you hit the keys!

JUSTONCE 09-08-2003 02:06 PM

I'm not set on cocoa I one of my friends just knows some people there. I want an area that is in a nice nieghborhood close to the water. I also was thinking of west Melbourne or fort myers cause they both have a dealerships there that I could transfer to.
Which of these 2 sound better. I want to be close to some action but not stuck living in it if you know what I mean.