Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hull Design, Power, Outdrives, and SPEED! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58955-hull-design-power-outdrives-speed.html)

Jeffrey 09-11-2003 11:45 AM

Glad to hear all the input. I think we have touched on two topics here - one concerning the speeds the manufacturers are able to achieve with their mainstream boats these days and second - the training and ultimate skill level of the operators.

I think that the speed issue is something that will always be subjective. It's like Porsche building the 996 Twin Turbo. It's there for the taking and for the few that can afford it. It's a choice.

As for the skill level of the operators - that is a whole other issue. I still cannot believe that there is no legislation requiring boaters to have some kind of training or license to operate a vessel. There should at least be some kind of minimum parameters. Boats with power under 100HP or something do not require a license, etc.

How is it that anyone with the funds can go out and buy a 100mph+ rocket and run it without formal training or the need to pass some kind of operator's test? It's amazing. I have seen so many situations where it is blatantly evident that the operator does not know what he is doing.

Scott - seeing as you are in law enforcement - isn't it amazing to you that no legislation exists for this. You're all correct about insurance. I was cancelled two years ago by a carrier because someone in Long Beach ran into a ship buoy at night and launched everyone overboard. The impending lawsuit was huge and the carrier decided to get out of the high performance market.

Just ask any of the big insurance guys and they'll tell you - insurance on our type of boat is getting harder and harder to come by. Don't even mention the cost ...

Caincando1 09-11-2003 12:36 PM

I belive there is a big responsibility on the driver. But lets not forget the boats themselves. Everyone handles and drives different. Where to we draw the line on what is safe for the general public and what is not...

SummerObsession 09-11-2003 12:51 PM

I think we are on a course similar to pioting aircraft. Although the training required may not be as lengthy, it will ultimately be required.
However, it will be the insurance companies that require it, perhaps not a governmental agency.
Right now, I have a pilot's liscence that, according to the government, allows me to fly ANY airplane that weighs 12,500lbs or less without any further type of instruction.
The insurance company, however will require training from an accredited facility, several (usually 25-50) hours in that particular TYPE and MAKE of aircraft.
I would think an accredited training facility that services ALL brands of boats could work. It should not really be up to the dealers, as the have a strong motivation for the customer to pass the course.
Some might not, and there goes their sale.
Just my .02

LEOPAJM 09-11-2003 01:02 PM

Are you guys saying that you WANT some kind of license ???

C'mon man ,... it's the last frontier !!!!

I don't need anyone telling me that .....

a. my boats too loud !

b. my boats too fast !

c. I shoulda done this back at that last marker !

d. I need to use more trim !

e. I can't cut back and forth in front of Wickedwon to keep him from passing me !!!!!

Thats BULL**** !!!! Too damn many regulations on everything else we do ... We DONT need 'em on boating too !!!!

If you can't operate your vessel in a "prudent" manner at speed ... and handle yourself ..... Stay at the friggin dock !!!!!!!!!

JM

Dd24skater 09-11-2003 01:06 PM

How long is it going to be before there is a speed limit on the water?

CigDaze 09-11-2003 01:08 PM

Originally posted by LEOPAJM
If you can't operate your vessel in a "prudent" manner at speed ... and handle yourself ..... Stay at the friggin dock !!!!!!!!!
Right on. I doubt anyone here would disagree, but despite that, it's amazing how many stupid tricks we hear of on this site. Every week it seems there's some azzhole out there taking upon himself to ruin it for the rest of us.

Wally 09-11-2003 01:19 PM

I think legislation for boating will eventually get here but not for a while yet.....i mean if they dont require some class instruction for these punk kids who get mommy and daddy to buy a 160+mph crotch rocket with absolutly no prior experience riding then why would they go after such a minority as boats for licensing? Yes insurance companys can start implementing requirements but see who the first one is and how much business they will loose if a few other comapanys dont do it at the same time. They will focus on bigger issues like spped limits and noise limits before they get that extreme.

The way i see the boating idustry going is that now its gonna start getting exotic. Materials are always changing. New features are always being thought up. Soon i see the days of the Gaffrig and Autometer gauges out and the instrument clusters of the auto world working their way in. Boats will be even lighter but stronger when they have some engineers do structural annalasys on the boats and start developing "saftey cage" style sections into the boats for structural integrity and such.
I see diesels as the future too. I mean how can you pass up the power output of these beasts and have the longevity and fuel economy of them too?!?!
I'm sure there is more left in hull design to come.....someone will figure out a way of getting the performance of the step hull and still have the turning and safty ability of a conventional "V" (of course to a point)
But with any advance in design or technology there will always come bugs to work out. As when cars started getting into fuel injection people were first scared of it cause its something new. And look where we are now. I remember in my pre-highschool days when all the HotRod magazines were saying that the days of hot rodding the engine was dead! And now these guy are working with EFI systems that no motors of the past can come close to!

I personally lok forward to all the great things to come in the future and hopefully i can think of something myself someday to make some money! :D

BURNSMAZZ 09-11-2003 01:21 PM

I guess there isn't a need for a license,but some type of training would be helpful,as I said before it seems that quite a few people get out on the water and shove their heads right up their ass,not using common sense and remembering there are other people out on the water and you have to pay attention to what you are doing and what is going on around you.

Reckless32 09-11-2003 01:32 PM

I'm with LEOPAJM. Though "required" courses may "sound & feel" good the reality is it'll have nothing to do with it. A person's mentality and disposition is the primary factor affecting "behavior" whether it be in a car or on a boat.

Now you folks who boat on inland lakes/rivers may "feel" all this is necessary because typically you're packed in like sardines with not only the few powerboats but also the runabouts, pontoons and jet-skis making it seem like chaos especially on the major weekends.

We each typically know each other when out boating. Peer pressure and promoting intelligent "behavior" will be the mainstay of any successful campaign. Same goes for when we're all in the bar having a few beverages. Do we simply say aw heck, just lower the BAC law and all will be fine? Hello MacFly?! It's not the .08's who are out there killing people or doing the exceptionally crazy things behind the wheel. It's the ones displaying extreme "behavior" at .20....So we look after each other and offer to give others rides or conjole them into slowing down while at the bar at the ready to pay for a taxi...

It's influencing "behavior" not hollow "feel-good" legislation or courses. Courses would only work on those who had the state of mind or disposition to have asked for it in the first place...

SummerObsession 09-11-2003 02:15 PM

Make no mistake, I do not WANT this! I'm sure most if not all of us on this board do not WANT this. I'm just saying that with everyidiot that crashed his new high performance boat (and there have been a bunch lately-a certian fountain comes to mind), we are that much closer to this becoming MANDATORY. I will be one of the first to fight it, but it may well happen anyway!