Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ISABEL - Could mean trouble. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58971-isabel-could-mean-trouble.html)

bermudaboy 09-12-2003 03:57 AM

We just had Fabian come thru here, take the warnings VERY seriously. The tower at Harbour Radio blew off after sustained 176MPH winds. This thing was here for 10hrs and made a HUGE mess of everything. I'll tell you one thing, Fabian couldn't drive a boat for S$%t as every other one is on the rocks.

Cheers,
Andy

Iggy 09-12-2003 04:12 AM

I've got to take inventory and be sure I have all the bolts I need for our huricane shutters. Fortunately it'll only take me about an hour to put them up.
The wife asked what we'll do with the boat and trailer. Told her I'll park it in the front yard as close to the house as possible hoping it'll be shielded from the winds.

Mr. Demeanor,
Putting up with hurricanes, tornados and lightening is a way of life here. It's something you learn to put up with.
We moved here from Jersey and up there we had to deal with hurricanes, Nor'easters, blizzards, etc.
Mother Natures fury is nothing new to us. We just make sure our homeowners policy is good and covers all contingencies up to and including total loss of our home.

CigDaze 09-12-2003 07:27 AM

Good image, Trout. Amazing! :eek:

Just an FYI: The pic in my first post is automatically updated by the host site. Hit Reload every time you open this thread to get the latest.

It looks like the latest image is predicting Isabel to hit somewhere near the Georgia/S. Carolina border.

Maximum sustained winds at 160 with higher gusts.

Pressure is at 921mbars. Hurricane Andrew at its peak was only down to 928mbars; Lower pressure means stronger convection, thus a stronger system.

--------------------------------------

WTNT33 KNHC 120843
TCPAT3
BULLETIN
HURRICANE ISABEL ADVISORY NUMBER 25
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 AM AST FRI SEP 12 2003

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE ISABEL CONTINUES ON A WESTWARD
TRACK...

AT 5 AM AST...0900Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE ISABEL WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 21.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 57.0 WEST OR ABOUT 455 MILES...730
KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS.

ISABEL IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 9 MPH ...15 KM/HR. THIS
GENERAL TRACK IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 160 MPH...260 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. SOME TEMPORARY WEAKENING IS POSSIBLE TODAY.
FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE COMMON IN MAJOR HURRICANES.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 185 MILES...295 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 921 MB...27.20 INCHES.

LARGE OCEAN SWELLS AND DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY OVER
PORTIONS OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...AND PUERTO
RICO OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

REPEATING THE 5 AM AST POSITION...21.7 N... 57.0 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 921 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
11 AM AST.

FORECASTER AVILA

skatermike24 09-12-2003 07:30 AM

I'm gonna pull the generator out to make sure it runs, hope that monster goes somewhere else:mad:

CigDaze 09-12-2003 07:39 AM

You got that right, Mike.
I hope it just makes a turn northward and just dies off in the Atlantic.

There's some major devastation potential in that storm.

TEAMBAJA 09-12-2003 07:48 AM

Im not going to let it spoil my weekend! Im going to Put In Bay! Bring it on!:D

CigDaze 09-12-2003 07:55 AM

Team,
I don't think you need to be too worried. :)

cuda 09-12-2003 08:06 AM

Originally posted by TEAMBAJA
Im not going to let it spoil my weekend! Im going to Put In Bay! Bring it on!:D
Even storms don't want to go there!:p

Audiofn 09-12-2003 09:57 AM

Yes it is but likely to turn north and hit colder water. Lets hope so at leaste. One hell of a eye on that thing!!!! Lets hope that boaters are smart enough to run for shelter on this one. I know one 85 foot boat that was lost last hurrican through when the captain made a break for it and did not make it through. Boat went down in 85 ya you great lakes guys 85 foot waves off the Grand Banks. All aboard dead

Tim G. 09-12-2003 09:59 AM

No need to worry until about Tuesday or so. Then we'll know where she's pointed.
If it's goint to hit here with anything more than a Cat 2 force... I'll be trailering the P boat over by Cuda and Bajadaze...
Anybody have a nice garage for my boat.. just for a couple of days...