Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's up with backing into slips?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58989-whats-up-backing-into-slips.html)

ThirdBird 09-11-2003 11:40 AM

I'd rather swallow my ego and avoid dings than ding my boat trying to show off my slow speed talent:D [/B][/QUOTE]

It's all part of mastering your vessel. I will not be beat or intimidated by my boat. (However, whenever I do even touch the dock, I think "damn, shoulda pulled straight in" :D :D :D )

Cattitude 09-11-2003 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Reckless288
The thought of backing over all that metal, especially in tidal waters, makes me shudder....:eek:
Fresh water lake- floating docks, floating lift, let the air out, limit chains keep it from dropping too far. Still makes me a bit nervous though- will have to check it out for idiot proofing.

In my case, I may not have enough depth- especially this time of year- to get the lift low enough for worry free backing in- or for that matter to get the boat off- another advantage to the front pivot lifts- I may have to beg foregiveness for not being cool or welcoming:D

Fountain38SC 09-11-2003 11:43 AM

When I installed my new lift, I had the manufacturer install longer arms on the lift so that I could back on under power. You wouldn't want to back on without longer arms as the props will hit the bunks. Trust me, been there, done that.

The main reason I back in is that it is very easy to get on/off.

Dave M 09-11-2003 11:44 AM

Ya, what others have said. At my marina I only have about a three foot section coming off the main dock. If I came nose in, it would be hard to get off the boat. Plus my slip faces the direction that the waves come from. Having the bow facing that direction is much better.

Gary Anderson 09-11-2003 11:44 AM

Faster getaway!
Right Troutly?
Gary

MitchStellin 09-11-2003 12:05 PM

The only real reason to back in is for waves. Your boat will ride out boat wakes, rollers down the channel and lake waves much better if backed it. Any other time it would be for showing off unless the dock is too short.:D

Cattitude 09-11-2003 12:10 PM

Originally posted by MitchStellin
The only real reason to back in is for waves. .:D
On a lift so that reall does not matter- leaning towards the easy route now:D

rainmn 09-11-2003 12:22 PM

Back in, nose in, what do I know? I parallel park. :D
(Boat is at my parent's lagoon front house.)

RebarBox 09-11-2003 12:35 PM

Back in......no way!

After a day on the lake with refreshments - I'm lucky if I find my slip! :o

Uncle Toys 09-11-2003 12:44 PM

The above reasons...and...I do it so any passing clowns can't bounce off my drives.