Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Portable Refrigerator Question??? >

Portable Refrigerator Question???

Notices

Portable Refrigerator Question???

Old 09-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable Refrigerator Question???

I have a norcold portable frig and when I turn it on, I can easily hear the compressor start running. It begins to cool pretty quick. I just bought a dometic ADSORPTION portable frig and the thing doesn't make a sound. I can feel the warth coming off the cooling unit so it seems like it's running. It gets plenty cold, but not as quick as my norcold. Anyone know the difference in these two units? Is one more efficient than the other????
Old 09-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Registered

OK... the adsorption doesn't have any moving parts, explains why it's so quiet... will last forever.... Now, how efficient is it compared to the compressor type??? I would think very much more efficient, anyone have any insight?? It's also lighter weight...
Attached Thumbnails Portable Refrigerator Question???-absorption.jpg  
Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On your first post I thought it was one with solid state cooling..but this one looks interesting on a side note.If the ammonia leaks you will be the first to know.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Registered

Yeah, it's not the solid state.. I wanted something that will freeze, this unit comes with an ice cube tray. And it runs on propane, whereas my norcold doesn't....
Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gas fridges have been around for a while.it should be durable as there are no moving parts.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered

I really didn't need another one, but it was on ebay and I thought it was a great price. I love having the norcold in the rear seat of my truck... great for long trips or when we're out shopping and pick up something that we know we won't get home before it will thaw. I'm going to see how it fits in the boat... I want to understand the power consumption on the unit compared to my norcold... I do know the norcold uses a lot of battery power....
Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the power consuption of this unit but I know the one in my Formula I left on for a week once by accident and it was still going 7 days later.

Jon
Old 09-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Registered

have a Dometic in the OSO rig and it is supposed to be a great unit from the research I did. Called them to ask technical questions and they were very helpful http://www.dometic.com . Ours runs on electric or propane, when in propane mode it takes longer to cool but is very efficient and costs pennies to operate.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Registered

I've tried to call dometic several times using the 1 800 number they provide in the users manual. This number is just for obtaining a number to a dometic rep in my region. Each time, it says they are buys and I get put on hold for ever... never actually got a real person yet...
Old 09-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that the compressor type is the most effiecient. Because if it wasn't then we would all have the absorption type in our houses instead of the compresor type. Their used to be absorption type central air conditioners and they ran on natural gas but they were VERY ineffiecient.

Quick Reply: Portable Refrigerator Question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.