Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me figure out what boat will fit our needs. >

Help me figure out what boat will fit our needs.

Notices

Help me figure out what boat will fit our needs.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Default Help me figure out what boat will fit our needs.

We just spent a week camping on our boat and we both agree that the time to move up is upon us. I really dont need a fast boat. After 6 spine surgeries, I have no business bouncing around. I do want that offshore hull soft ride. Cruise at 40mph would be nice. We like to weekend or longer so I need a cuddy and/or camper top. I also want twin engines as we are moving to Florida and I plan on doing some fishing. If outright speed is not going to be a concern, then I wouldnt mind cutting fuel costs as well. It needs to be easily trailerable as we will be draggging it from Florida to Michigan regularly. Heres what Ive got in mind.

30-35' center console with a cuddy, camper canvass, and twin 4 stroke outboards. No fancy bottoms, just a 24degree or better hull.

The other option would be an older sport boat with twin small blocks. Maybe an older Formula?

Has anyone seen a camper top on a CC? ANy other ideas out there?

Old 09-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a guy the had a Donzi F33 that had a full and I mean full canvas cover for his boat. It turned his CC into a cruiser !!!! It looked like alot of work to me tho.....Dave
Old 09-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Banned

I have seen older Formula 242's and 272's with camper canvas. They would be great for crusing or weekending, but would be crap to fish out of. Once you throw fishing in the mix, you are talking center consol or walkaround. A freind of mine has an older Pro Line 25 WAC. They use it for everything, fishing, camping, diving, and cruising. He has twin 200 Mercs. I don't know his top speed, but it's a helluva lot faster than it has any business being! It's a big boat with 9'8" beam I believe. We call it his SUV. The cabin isn't much, but you can stand straight up in it.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Registered

If you're willing to forego the fishing a bit, a Formula 330 Sunsport would probably fit the bill...
Old 09-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Mr. Demeanor

LIving in Florida, we plan on fishing, diving, etc. I agree that the camper top would be a pain but possibly a partial camper?

Old 09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Registered

Well, a 280 would probably work as well...
Old 09-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something from the Formula Sun Sport line would be perfect. Lots of deck space, more cabin that a Fastec and it still has the deep-V hull.Formula 280 Sun Sport

Last edited by Iggy; 09-12-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Just checked the Sunsport line and they have 21 or 20 degree deadrise hulls and large strakes. Given that and their wide beam, its not the soft ride at speed Im looking for. Im sure its not bad by sport cruiser standards, but its not going to be soft like a clean 24 degree hull.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Registered

30' Scarab CC . Cuddy with lots of open space for fishin, diving, partying. Lots os clean older ones around to choose from some with singles and some with twins. Thats where im going from my Formula 272. a Scarab CC or Donzi ZF.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Theres a nice scarab cc in the classifieds here right now. If I could sell my boat...

Quick Reply: Help me figure out what boat will fit our needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.