Trailering question- What would you do? >

Trailering question- What would you do?

Notices

Trailering question- What would you do?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Trailering question- What would you do?

A question for the OSO masses. I've bought a Cigarette that is in Michigan. As part of the sales agreement, The current owner has agreed to meet me in Cleveland to deliver the boat. Go for a quick ride, load it back on the trailer and head for Virginia.

Now for the question. Should I tow it myself or pay someone else to tow it?

I've owned a boat for 20 years and always towed, but my Formula is just a little over half of what the Cig weighs. I have a truck that is capable of towing the Cig. (2500 'Burb w/454) but have never towed anything bigger than the Formula (maybe 6000 lbs. inc. trailer) so I really do not know what to expect.

I'm not scared to tow it, but I'm not stupid either and don't want to screw up anything to save 500-600 bucks.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 09-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig, you will have no problem towing it yourself. Just longer and heavier. No big deal. Just be sure to bring lots of money for gas.

PS - you might want to feel the bearings for heat when the current owner gets to Cleveland to make sure none are getting ready to burn up on you.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

That was part of my thinking on having him meet me in Cleveland. If anything is f'ed up on the trailer, it will show up on his 4 hour tow. In other words, if the trailer makes it to Cleveland it's good to go. It has new tires and braking system on it, so it should be fine.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Craig,

That is a good plan. Glad to see you found the Bullet you were looking for.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably pay someone. If you get it yourself, you would save the delivery expense, but you also would loose your time....proabably a full day of travel. You could be hanging out on the formula on a beautiful day while someone else is traveling inside thier truck.

The cost of travel aggravation would be enough for me to have it delivered. Not to mention wear and tear on you own vehicle + fuel costs.

just my opinion...i hate traveling by car/truck. especially if someone is going with you for the ride....(i have to go to the bathroom, i'm hungry....etc.)
Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Craig,
I would tow it myself. If the guy is confident with towing it halfway, the trailer should be sound.

Make sure to take your credit card, a cell phone, a good bottle jack, tools, and see if he can tell you the bearing sizes and hub dimensions ahead of time. Then you can take spare parts with you. I can help you locate some here if you need, or borrow my spares if they fit. Hell, you can even take my trailer spare tire too. Check the hitch ratings on the 'burb, and make sure you have a 10K drawbar AND ball, and ask him how high he has the ball on his truck (measured from the ground), when he tows, so you can match. If you have the adjustable height drawbar, even better. If you want to borrow my trailer hitch mounted mud flaps, you are welcome to them as well for that long tow. Make sure you know the trailer wiring too. He may need a reverse lead for the brakes.

Also, DO NOT take the PA Turnpike. Take 68 across the panhandle of Marlyand, and straight up 79 to Pittsburg; and reverse for return trip; MUCH better route!

No time to learn than when you absolutely have to.

And if you decide to have it towed, take Bill (43Thunder) with you. I am pretty sure he would do the tow.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-11-2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:02 AM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig
After all of my years towing the Outerlimits and particularly my old 38 Cigarette, the best advise I can give you is to pay attention. Watch what everytone is doing far ahead of you.
Getting the boat going down the road is the easy part, stopping quickly is alot different.
Tow the boat yourself! Just be careful & don't go too fast. You will be comfortable with it in no time!!
Dave
Old 09-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Nooo problem. Just use your head when turning and making lane changes...

That Sub with the BB will do fine. I had a '94 with a 454. Great truck. I now have an '00 3500 with the 454. It pulls my 8000 without a whimper what so ever.
It will suck fuel like a top fuel dragster though...
I get 8-9 MPG in general towing 8k. You may see 9-10 if you're doing 60 on the highway.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 09-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Registered

Craig, What size Cig. I tow my 38 all over. I have been towing for 20 years. I have an aluminum trailer with a long tongue and it does get VERY tricky trying to get around town or into hotels and gas stations. It is much more difficult than towing my 30 footer around. Highway is no different other than stopping distances, but as Dave says, Be aware and dont be in any hurry and dont go so fast.

Bob
Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Make sure you fill up at truck stops the first few times. They usually have a lot or room around the gasoline pumps too. You need to get your road skills honed on the new rig so you will be ready for Richmond Radar Shootout; and SML in the spring.

I've pulled a few boats with this truck and my old Tahoe, and pulling my boat with that 2-door Tahoe was downright scary at times. Worst part of the trip will be 495 close to home. I cringe EVERYTIME I tow on or in the DC Beltway.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-11-2003 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailering question- What would you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.