Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West WorldsThe Truth. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59296-key-west-worldsthe-truth.html)

Dredgeking 09-16-2003 07:30 AM

lee sent me an email and ask for my phone number so he could tell me his side of the story. he says there is a lot of mis-information floating around and that he will address it shortly. i'll let you know if i hear from lee. i was glad to see he responded to my email. has anyone received a response?

BROWNIE 09-16-2003 07:57 AM

What would you say if if I told you that UIM DOES have a class 1 world championship? This year, it was won by Steve Curtis, in a Norwegian boat with Italian engines. I might add that it is just a little harder to win than the self proclaimed championships that we have over here. I won at the Wednesday night poker game last week, but I didn't call myself world champ. In the early days of APBA Offshore, we went to great lengths to align ourselves with UIM. Reward? We had 15 or 20 foreign boats at the championships, and had people rooting for the Americans! Seems so long ago................

kitten 09-16-2003 08:42 AM

Lee pay the fee! :confused:
We want to go to the Keys! :o

tachyon 09-16-2003 08:47 AM

UIM Class 1 is suffering from similar dysfunction. They had venue and promoter issues. The series is currently self-promoted and in decline. In general, it's a similar structure with two classes of racing. Of the 8-10 teams, only about half are competive (Victory boats, Spirit of Norway, Jotun and Maritomo). In reality, it's been between Victory team and Spirit of Norway the last couple of years. The budgets are huge (millions) to campaign a boat (let alone win) and the technology is far more advanced than here. C1 has already been reduced from a 10 race World Championship to a split mini series that spends the first half in Europe and crowns a European Champ and second half of the season in the middle east crowning a Middle East Champ.

In short, I'd bet my money on APBA/Offshore having better long term viability than UIM C1.

tachyon 09-16-2003 08:50 AM

Brownie,

Steve's boat is actually a Dubai boat with Italian engines.;)

Peconic 09-16-2003 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Dredgeking
lee sent me an email and ask for my phone number so he could tell me his side of the story. he says there is a lot of mis-information floating around and that he will address it shortly. i'll let you know if i hear from lee. i was glad to see he responded to my email. has anyone received a response?
He sent you an email to ask for your phone number so he could tell his side of the story ?????

Heeeellooooo? Anybody home? When will they learn that this is a public forum where anybody can type in an answer to the many questions? No phone numbers etc. needed. Someone is trying to buy time here, and they are lacking finesse.

How to tell your side of the story in one easy step:

Tell your side of the story.

If there's mis-information floating around, then because of the lack of hard facts. If they don't want mis-information, then they have to take charge of the issues and keep their constituents informed. Misinformation starts when people are misinformed. I have yet to see straight dope from any of the concerned parties. Racers are up in arms about this. This is no way to run a race.

I can't help it, but http://www.keywestosworlds.com smacks more and more like asbestosworlds to this here reporter.

Peconic 09-16-2003 09:13 AM

Originally posted by TYPHOON
I'm willing to pay extra for these fees and then kick him to the curb after the race.
:hothead: :hothead: Mad Dog:hothead: :hothead:

Randy: I'll pay half of your fees if I can watch. I bet you will easily find sponsors for the other half.

Dredgeking 09-16-2003 09:32 AM

peconic, we'll see if he calls. i'm still curious to know if he responed to anyone elses e-mail or phone call. sometimes people do not communicate well on public forums. sometimes the message gets mixed.

Beckles 09-16-2003 09:42 AM

Originally posted by BROWNIE
What would you say if if I told you that UIM DOES have a class 1 world championship? This year, it was won by Steve Curtis, in a Norwegian boat with Italian engines. I might add that it is just a little harder to win than the self proclaimed championships that we have over here. I won at the Wednesday night poker game last week, but I didn't call myself world champ. In the early days of APBA Offshore, we went to great lengths to align ourselves with UIM. Reward? We had 15 or 20 foreign boats at the championships, and had people rooting for the Americans! Seems so long ago................
There's just as many APBA Supercats as there are UIM Class 1 boats ... I'm not sure why you think it's so much more competitive over there. I don't think any of the teams here are racing to lose ...

It would be nice if APBA still had a class analgous to UIM Class 1, but the decision was made that it was too expensive for the teams here, and as a result instead of just having a great World Championship in Key West every year with a few US teams and some UIM boats now we have 10 Supercats at every APBA race putting on an incredible show.

The term "world champion" I agree may be a bit generous, but I don't know how you figure Supercat is less competitive than UIM Class 1.

stevequick 09-16-2003 09:52 AM

I suggested that if all the participants chipped in $200.00 and possibly the LLC a couple large. This mess could go away. Gordo thinks it would be more important to teach Mr. Mills a lesson.

I am promoting only one issue. Quit F#%&*$g the racers. If this unbeliveable mess could be straightened out, for the good of the only people who count. Why not try? I'll put up the first $200.00 and I'm not even racing. Mr. Mills is not the issue here.

After having said all that, I have to say. If Gary Nichols bails out whoever is being bailed here. It will be one of the best worlds ever.