This Just In ...Miami Race Cancelled >

This Just In ...Miami Race Cancelled

Notices

This Just In ...Miami Race Cancelled

Old 09-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Just In ...Miami Race Cancelled

just got memo from SBI...because of the uncertainties regarding hurricane Isabel. the SBI race scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled. it will NOT be rescheduled.

Here is the press announcement from SBI:

September 15, 2003

Dear Racers and Fans,

Super Boat International’s National Championship race is to be held this weekend, September 21, 2003.

The following items are of concern to SBIP:

It is still unknown at this time the direction of the storm;
The unknown of high sea conditions as predicted, to ask for medical, patrol, and check point boats to go out on the racecourse could be unsafe;
Rip tide conditions are expected and if there is a need for medical response for a boat that has rolled over, this would make rescue difficult;
The boats have raced all year long acclimating points for this final race (the National Championship) and it would not be fair for the Northern boats not to participate because of the Hurricane;
The racers from the north would need to secure their property and family;
It would be difficult for the boats traveling from the north traversing over the highway on Thursday and then the return home could be hard;

After surveying the issues at hand from Hurricane Isabel, Super Boat International is canceling the September 21, 2003 race to be held in Miami, Florida. It is not possible to reschedule to another date because of the World Championship race being the week of November 2 - 9, 2003. For this reason, SBI will award points for Tuesday and Thursday race during the World Championship to go toward the National Championship finals (like was done in 2001 after 9/11 when the Bahamas race was canceled).

Our apologies for any inconvenience to racers, fans and supporters that this may have caused. With a hurricane being a category 4 or 5, has so many unknown factors to plan a race of this magnitude.

Respectfully,

John Carbonell, President Super Boat International Productions, Inc.

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 09-15-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Boat Girl

Unhappy

No way, that stinks, I was looking forward to it...But safety first I guess...Nationals I'm sure will be rescheduled...probably for Deerfield...

Last edited by Boat Girl; 09-15-2003 at 04:49 PM.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM
TulsaLarry

I thought Isabel was heading for the Northeast and would hit mid-day Thursday, I don't understand how this would affect a race in Miami unless they are concerned about the racers and equipment traveling to Miami.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thats exactly why.

they are concerned about the teams traveling down from the north.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gosh BRUCE and Ron P, I hope The OPA race in MD does not get blown out.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:36 PM
VIP Member

Default Race

I spoke to John C today. Aside from the possible hugh water. Many of the teams are from the northeast, and connot leave their families, and buissness with this storm looming out there. Not to mention the title sponsor is from NC which could be ground Zero. The only responsible move was to cancel.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The MD race was originally set for this weekend. however as luck would have it, the race is scheduled for next weekend Sept 28th.

But don't miss the Jersey Boyz race this Friday off Point Pleasant. It's only going to be one lap. Whoever makes it back into the inlet wins!!!! 20' seas!!!! Yeeehaa.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Default Darrenus1

Dont worry about the Jersey Boyz......We go out and play in Herricanes.....Aint Scared
Old 09-15-2003, 05:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty, guess hell or high water Kevin and I are there with you and Sticks.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

I guess I'll be waiting til November to see some good quality racing. All you Northeastern guys, stay safe while this weather is heading your way.

Quick Reply: This Just In ...Miami Race Cancelled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.