Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chicago to Tampa...whats to see along the way? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59318-chicago-tampa-whats-see-along-way.html)

Mr. Demeanor 09-15-2003 06:48 PM

Chicago to Tampa...whats to see along the way?

We leave early next week and plan on taking our time. Ive never driven the trip before. Is there anything we should try and see or do along the way?

Monty 09-15-2003 07:12 PM

National Corvette Museum, and Corvette Assembly Plant, both on Bowling Green, KY right off the interstate. Holley is also in BG, KY - could be an interesting tour if they have them.

After visting those "attractions", you'll owe it to your wife to stop in the Smoky Mountains, the Vanderbilt Mansion, etc.

Atlanta is your last good stop before Tampa, Bucktown or the Underground is where the action is. Nothing really else inbetween Atlanta and Tampa except truck stops and towns built around discount/factory-outlet shopping malls.

Plenty of Cracker Barrel's along the way too!

dangerousdan 09-15-2003 07:29 PM

Havent made that same trip in a loonng time. Don't have much current info out of State but Big Daddy Don Garlits Drag Racing Museam Just S of Ocala , FL on I75. While in N Fl you can see St Augustine, Daytona, and Disney.

Mr. Demeanor 09-15-2003 08:36 PM

My wife is in the horse business so we will be around Ocala alot. Now I have somthing to do. Good info...keep em coming.

ActiveThunderTodd 09-15-2003 08:40 PM

If you go down 65 to Nashville then 24 over to 75 you can stop over in Chattanooga Tn. They have and outstanding cave to tour, Ruby Falls. There is also Rock City both on Lookout Mountain. I would highly encouage to make a day of it in chattanooga. Cool town.

ActiveThunderTodd 09-15-2003 08:42 PM

Don't forget to Stop around Gainsville at the Cafe Erotica/Risque. Theres one in Georgia as well. Good food and total nudity :D

Wally 09-16-2003 08:43 AM

ATTodd, LMAO! are those the Neon yellow signs along the road just south of Atlanta between FL? Theres like 4 or 5 of them if i remember correctly :D Can drain a wallet fast! :D

Theres also the Jack Daniels factory along the way! :D

TopSpin80 09-16-2003 08:49 AM

Got to the Siesta Key beach in Sarasota... it is off the beaten path (freeway) a little, but worth the trip. Especially if there are boat races. Just a little further south though, all that means is warmer :)

Dixie Doug 09-16-2003 10:10 AM

Stop in Louisville ,Chuchill Downs,Horse training farms local, Ford's 2 plants (Superduty,Explorer),Marlargo Boat Manufacture,Pluckebaum Custom Boats and Dixie Marine:rolleyes: :D

Zanie 09-16-2003 11:20 AM

Let's not forget to buy Fireworks!