Notices

Key West - Words From the Mayor

Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Key West - Words From the Mayor

Okay,
I wanted to find out a little more about what the situation is down there and also wanted to make sure that the appropriate people were informed about what is about to happen.

I haven't cancelled my reservations yet, I don't know why, but I'm holding on to one last shread of hope, so I wanted to get some confirmation.

Basically, what I found out was quite interesting, I'm sure you'll think so, too.

Read from the bottom, up.

-------------------------------------------------

Mr. Weekley,
Once again, thank you. You don't know how much I appreciate your time and efforts here in this matter.

I find that very interesting considering what Lee Mills has been posting on his site:

Lee's Site:
http://www.keywestosworlds.com/page2.html

Nick Kamenszky

____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject: RE: RE: APBA World Championships, November 2003
Author: "Jimmy Weekley" <SMTP:[email protected]>
Date: 9/16/2003 2:56 PM

Nick,
Lee Miles has not approached the City for any permits regarding his race. Also,
it is my understanding that the Navy would not give permission for Lee to use
the outer mole for his race. I'm trying to confirm with the Navy.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:27 PM
To: Jimmy Weekley
Subject: Re:RE: APBA World Championships, November 2003

Thank You for your quick response. It is greatly appreciated.
If you would like to know more about what is being said, please visit:

http://offshoreonly.com/forums/showt...threadid=59296

http://offshoreonly.com/forums/showt...threadid=59273

http://offshoreonly.com/forums/showt...threadid=59355

I would just like to profess one final point. Key West is something very special in the hearts of many Offshore Powerboat Racers. The chance to race in Key West
and be part of history in the making, while being in the heart of such a great city, is the highlight of the season for many. Key West and the APBA share some heritage
and history and all I would like to ask is that all parties make the best possible effort to make the APBA race happen.

Thank You.
Nick Kamenszky

____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject: RE: APBA World Championships, November 2003
Author: "Jimmy Weekley" <SMTP:[email protected]>
Date: 9/16/2003 12:08 PM

Nick,
Thanks for the e-mail. I was not aware that the APBA was not going to sanction
the race this year. I will look into this matter.
Jimmy Weekley
Mayor

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 1:02 PM
Subject: APBA World Championships, November 2003

Dear Mayor,

With angst and disdain, I must inform you of a potentially negative situation surrounding the APBA World Championships Offshore Powerboat races scheduled to be held on November 17-23 in your beautiful city.

I'm sure I need not tell you that the Key West APBA World Championships is an event that thousands upon thousands of people look forward to each and every
year. The championships in Key West are a culmination of a great yearlong effort, and the excitement of wonderful week in Key West to be had by all who
participate and who flock down to Key West to be part of the viewing public.

I'm also certain that you are aware of the tremendous economic benefit of such an event. It is obvious to even the casual observer, who is in attendance and enjoying vacation in Key West during that time, that the island is thriving with activity and most hotels and eateries are to capacity.

Sorrowfully, the promoter of this year's event, Lee Mills, seems to be the center of some controversy regarding APBA sanctioning fees for this event. Meanwhile, Mr. Mills has concocted some scheme to hold what he has dubbed "The Key West Offshore World Championships."

You may not be aware, that if this is the case, and APBA does not sanction this event, Key West could potentially be hosting a boat race that will be mostly devoid of boats. Already, when news of this broke early this week, I have witnessed many people making cancellations for their plans to be in Key West in November. The commitment of the racers is with the APBA, NOT Lee Mills and his "Offshore World
Championships."

I ask of you please to look into this matter. There may be detriment to the event if APBA sanctioning does not occur.

Myself personally, and very many of my offshore racing acquaintances, are on the verge of cancellation. We await your response.

Best Regards,
Nick Kamenszky,
APBA Fan,
4-time Key West APBA Offshore World Championship Attendee
Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Looks to me like somebody might be runnin' a scam
Old 09-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this email is legit, the content is explosive:

"Lee Miles has not approached the City for any permits regarding his race." Signed by the Mayor.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally posted by craig223
Looks to me like somebody might be runnin' a scam
Offshore/high performance powerboats and scam/fraud in the same sentence? NO! I would have NEVER thought!

GREAT WORK NICK! Keep it up. Looks like someone may have some 'splainin' to do! Nick for Governor of California and President of the U.S.!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is absolutely, 100% legitimate.

LOL, Shane! Thanks.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 09-17-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Registered

If I read the good Mayor correctly, he's saying: Nobody has approached us for permits yet. Therefore, the race does not exist as far as the city is concerned. Please come and ask us for permits.

Mike Alweiss: Please call Jimmy Weekley. (If only to confirm the veracity if this email interchange.)
Old 09-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Peconic
If I read the good Mayor correctly, he's saying: Nobody has approached us for permits yet. Therefore, the race does not exist as far as the city is concerned. Please come and ask us for permits.

Mike Alweiss: Please call Jimmy Weekley. (If only to confirm the veracity if this email interchange.)
Yes, that's pretty much what I gathered from his statement, also.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Default Same message from Jimmy Weekly

I recieved almost the identical reply from Jimmy Weekly to an email I sent yesterday. I was surprised that he responded and at the content of his message. As Lee Mills states on his website "10 months of careful planning" somehow missed a step of getting permits from the city and securing approval from the Navy to use the intended facilities. I don't think I would like being a part of the Key West Investment Group right about now.

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 3:02 PM
To: Edwards, Doug
Subject: RE: Offshore Races

Doug,
This has caught me by surprise. I have found out that Lee has not approaced the City for any permits and that the Navy will not give Lee permission to use the outer mole area for the race. This is all that I know right now however, I will be looking in this matter in more detail.
JImmy Weekley

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 12:36 PM
Subject: Offshore Races

Dear Mr. Mayor,
I am writing to inform you of a situation that I find very frustrating and has the potential to be very harmful to the tourist industry in KW. I was planning on visiting KW in November to watch the World Championship Offshore Races. I have recently been informed that many racers will not be attending these races due to a conflict with the local promoter and the sactioning body (APBA). Apparently, Mr. Lee Mills is refusing to pay a sanctioning fee (which he was contractually bound to do) and offering instead a race that he is sponsoring with a local investment group. Many of the best boat racers in the world will now be attending an alternate location that is APBA sanctioned to run the World Championships instead of KW. To be recognized as a World Champion by a sanctioning body (APBA) is more valuable than to be crowned World Champion by a first year investment group. Sponsors recognize the inherent value of APBA as a racing organization as do the racers themselves.

While the boat race was just part of our plans, it was the primary focus of our planned activities. Based on these events, I will now be cancelling my air, hotel, and rental car reservations for my family. I have heard from many other fans, that they are also cancelling plans to visit KW and will instead follow the racers to Orange Beach, AL.

Regards,
Doug Edwards
Old 09-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good letter, Doug. I'm glad that you and I, and probably others, have been able to bring this to attention.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That is true, Fred. Alabama is affirmative.
I wrote this stuff yesterday.

At least we can begin to figure out where the breakdown may have started.

Quick Reply: Key West - Words From the Mayor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.