Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help! More Speed - Same Reliability (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59476-help-more-speed-same-reliability.html)

Joe 09-17-2003 02:27 PM

Help! More Speed - Same Reliability

1 Attachment(s)
I've heard many, many different suggestions as to how I can get more speed out of my boat. So, I figured I'd throw it out here for "Everyone's" comments. They'll all be appreciated! Oh, btw.... no blower comments please - I don't want 'em! Turn-key is the focus. I run the boat every weekend (400 HRS) -- when possible.

1999 38' Scarab
500 EFI's
Upgraded CMI Exhaust w/ Dry Pipes (it sounds gooooood)!
28 Pitch Bravo's (spinning outward - not lab'd)
77-78 MPH (in salt water during warm weather)
80MPH (in salt water during cooler months)
5200 RPM's

Appreciate comments from anyone who's experienced:

-Vortec Engineering's computer upgrade
-Vortec Spark Arrestors over the stock K&N's
-Grinding/ filing down the low water pick-up inlets making them smoother
-Sanding the hull (with what grit/kind of sandpaper etc... and what does that do to the lifespan of the hull?
-waxing the hull

P.S. Also no fat jokes! Loosing weight is not an option for speeding up my boat! haha. Here's a photo.

FYI... As is everyone else's I know: It's for sale. See boattraderonline.com for photo's or just e-mail me:
[email protected]

117k Firm -- or, if you feel better negoting... 125k (and we'll negotiate down to 117k. Includes Brand new custom trailer. Boat was kept on Lake Travis, Austin, TX

Thanks in advance!

BajaRunner 09-17-2003 02:35 PM

did you have that boat listed with south austin marine?

Wally 09-17-2003 02:36 PM

what kind of gains are you looking for? at those speeds there isnt much that will help other then blowers or "upgrades" to the engine. Doing any of the things you mentioned above may net you 2-3 tops if at all in mph.....so the question is......do you want to spend the time doing things like that or just bolt on more HP? And if you were to go with wipple's i dont think the "turn key" reliability would be a problem since the are EFI's. :)

Joe 09-17-2003 03:03 PM

yes. at one point in time i did. however, not much luck considering the economy and that i'd already bought another boat (47 SC, which i sold in Feb. at Miami boat show). now it's listed with craig timm in ft. lauderdale. the boat's here in austin/houston. he's brokering it from-a far.

yep. 2-3 mph would be great. that's all i'm looking for. i really, really, don't want blowers. but, thanks for the whipple input.

HiPerf2000 09-17-2003 03:06 PM

Why do you care if you are selling it ??????

Joe 09-18-2003 05:08 PM

Simply said... "Because I can" haha. Seriously, I just enjoy tinkering with things and it's fun. Besides, it's not sold yet - and I love the boat... but want a 42 Outerlimits!!!!

Joe 09-19-2003 12:15 PM

I've heard from several folks that Merc. sets the motors up to run appx. 20% rich. Any news on the truth to that - having the computers leaned out a bit? If so, what's been found and who's the best at doing it? I've had initial conversations with Vortec Engineering and they're claiming 3-4 MPH and their computer upgrade adds the extra fuel on the top. I just can't find anyone to verify it.