Notices

O/T Shocks

Old 09-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on and one blew after 5k miles. Leaked oil so must have lost a seal. It was replaced under warranty but I had to pay for labor as I had done it myself the first time but couldnt the second time. I didnt hit anything, it just failed under light use.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boot: that is good info. I don't offroad in the Excursion, just rough hwy's and heavy trailers. Is this enough to warm up the oil?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chart, yes it is warming them up . Don't get me wrong . Nothing wrong with them ,it's just want you want out of them . On typical lifted 4x4's I build for people we like the ranchos. WHat they are better for is pot holes and such (or tree stumps ) ! They are a good compramize between handling and off road comfort . The only down side is the more you run , the hotter they get , and the less effective they are . They get mushy ..... The adjustable ones are good because you can turn them up !

The Billsteins and dostechs I speak of for highway use and towing ,are more rigid. Ever drive a corvette or porche ? These shocks are made for handling, controlling motion and limiting body roll in turns . So it's all in what you need . Do you want your truck to handle like a Porche and hold that big trailer stable , or do you need to fly down bumpy roads and not rattle your teeth ?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Registered

Mr. Demeaner, I am NO fan of Edlebrock shocks or Shyjackers either . I have swapped out alot of them for people . Joe
Old 09-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Monroe Gas Magnums
or
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT

both essentially the same shock, just different color.
Usually found on sale for $19.99 to $24.99

Good bargain.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet troutly
Thanks for the input

Thinking about going with a set of bilstiens and the Firestone ride rights on the rear for added support

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey boot and MrDemeanor, thanks for the feedback on the Edelbrocks. I really liked them on my Yukon, but after hearing your stories, I think I'll pass on putting them on the Excursion.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with a single filler will the air travel from one side to the other during a hard turn?
Right turn, left side compresses, right side raises??
Thinking about that makes want seperate lines but at the same location. even thought about the auto pump
Old 09-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Registered

Your right . A single valve is Not a real good idea .....
It is actualy dangerous to someone that carries alot in the truck or is top heavy . The air pushes out of one bag and into the other in a turn . It makes it real unstable .

I know ,I was in the ditch once because of one . After switching to dual valves the problem was gone . Towing a boat might not feel so bad becasue the hitch is mounted low , but carry something heavy in the truck one day and you will know it !
Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by boot
WHat they are better for is pot holes and such (or tree stumps ) ! They are a good compramize between handling and off road comfort . The only down side is the more you run , the hotter they get , and the less effective they are . They get mushy ..... The adjustable ones are good because you can turn them up !
I have the Rancho RS9000's on the Excursion- boot is right- they are a compromise, and do heat up, but the adjustable feature allows you to compensate for that. I have discussed this with others who took the time (and money ) to try all of them out on PSD Excursions, and the RS9000 was the winner. This was on non-lifted trucks. The PSD 'X' is a good test-bed vehicle since it weighs over 8000 lbs loaded, higher than any other SUV or pickup.
I have found them to be excellent on the rough roads of Canada where even the paved roads will loosen your fillings! .
Jim

Quick Reply: O/T Shocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.