That's beyond the scope of this board.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know that someone got in or has tried to get in??? Otto
Old 09-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mpally
What is the best free firewall? How do i set one up?
ZoneAlarm has a free version and a version you can pay for. The set up is very simple, just follow the instal directions.

I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and it has performed flawlessly.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Sygate Personal Firewall Pro did'nt need setting up.
It's almost "plug and play".
Once it's loaded, the first few days you'll get a notice every time a program is trying to access the internet. It's asking permission for that progam to do so. If you say "OK" and by check the "remember my choice" it will always allow that program to go out. If the remember option isn't checked it will always ask permission. If you say no, it'll never be allowed to go out unless you change it's status. The status of any program that accesses the net can be changed easily.
If there are websites that automatically install programs or data retrieval software they can be blocked just as easily. Any individual site that tries to access your system can be blocked.
You can block all outside access to your system too, but that also stops you from getting out until you change it back to normal operation.
All known forms of attacks and hacking software are automatically blocked. If it does occur, you'll get a message or indication that it's happening and you can view what it was in the security logs as well as backtracing who the person is. You can save these secruity logs for forwarding to your ISP provider for investigation.
Program is self updating. No need to do it manually.
You can go in and change the operating rules and all sorts of advanced functions but it works beautilfully as is.

Sygate has a free trial version you can download.
I did that before bying. The first week I had their "trial version" which was a prototype and not a released version, it stopped a major attack on my system. This attack lasted three days. Everytime I powered up the computer, there it was. I couldn't do anythnig on the net. My ISP provider said they found where this hacker was hitting over 500 systems simultaneously.
I figured if their "prototype" was that good the released version must be good.
I was instantly sold and haven't regretted it.

BTW Sygate and Black Ice are the top two firewalls on the market. I liked what Sygate had to offer for the price.

Last edited by Iggy; 09-19-2003 at 09:32 AM.