AVG free antivirus software... and update it regularly, it is the only thing we have found that really works on all viruses.
Any words of advice?
first time with it
Ihave McAffee Office with Firewall and the like already
I am going to have it set up so i can unplug it at will.
I am not to keen on the permenant connection
I also want to home network my laptop to it also to use in another room. Should I go cabled, or wireless??
This Cat is trying to keep up with the Big Dogs
I use a Linksys BEFSR41 wired 4 port router for my 3 pc's and laptop. These are fairly inexpensinve, easy to set up and have a built in firewall. I also have cable and have no worries about the always on connection.
I have a linksys router. I am playing online poker, online radio station, surfing OSO, and Laura is playing online poker on the laptop all off my cable at the same time.. I never turn my connection off and have never had a problem
MN Comp US has the Linksys wireless kit on sale right now. 100 bucks for the old style and I think 100 more for the G routers (faster). They have fire walls built in and work VERY well.
Put your best foot forward!
My home system is on cable and always oneline.
Be sure you have a real good firewall. I get 10-20 attacks every night when I'm working on the computer.
Don't know how good McAfee's firewall is but I have Sygate's Personal Firewall Pro. Cost me 49.95 with one years worth of updates.
Broadband cable access:
- Do NOT hook up unprotected. They'll use a high bandwidth connection like yours to store music, videos, cracked software, whathaveyou.
- Turn off TCP/IP filesharing, Netbios over TCP/IP. They will access your drives if you do.
- A software firewall like Zonealarm, McAffee etc. is a good first start. Zonealarm is free.
- A hardware router like Linksys, Zygate etc. is highly recommended. It also allows you to use several computers on one cable connection.
- Note: A firewall, whether software or hardware is only as good as its rules. Out of the box, the firewall will only provide rudimentary protection. It needs to be set up.
- When buying a router, IMMEDIATELY password the configuration screens and disable access to modification screens from the cable network. They'll hijack your router before you know it if you don't.
How important is having a firewall on a home computer? We do not have any important stuff saved on there unless the hackers can somehow get into my bank or brokerage acct online. Should I get one? Doesn't it affect messageboard access and not allow you on some websites?
A firewall does not limit access to websites, unless you close port 80 (www) Then you won't be able to access any websites.
Having a firewall (hardware or at least software) is mandatory if your computer sits on a broadband network. Even if you dan't have anything that is sensitive.
- Robots sift for open machines and use your computer for free storage. They'll dump videos and MP3s onto your machine to trade. Illegal stuff usually, and you are in trouble.
- They use your computer as a host for attacks on other machines. The FBI knocks on your door, and you have a lot of explaininmg to do.
- They steal the software on your computer and you are in trouble because someone mass produces a piece of software you have registered.
- They use the material found on your computer for identity theft. Very easy.
This message is being sent through a firewall ...
What is the best free firewall? How do i set one up?
Alum Metal Fab
Custom Marine Sales
Dave's Custom Boats
Diamond Performance Parts
Double R Performance
Elton Porter Insurance
Fastboats Marine Group
GGB Exhaust Technologies
Grand Sports Center
Ilmor High Performance Marine
Lake Cumberland Marine
Lake Havasu Boat Show
Marine Technology Inc
McLeod Design Group
Performance Boat Center
Performance Marine Trading
Potter Performance Engines
Ron Sporl Performance
Speed and Custom Marine
Total Dollar Insurance
Teague Custom Marine
Wake Zone Marine Insurance
Young Performance Marine