If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    Just toys now
    Akron, OH

Did I ruin my vinyl?

I was pulling my engines and got oil on my back seat. I usually use diluted super clean or dish soap to remove these oil stains. I borrowed some SF77 and went pretty strong. The vinyl is now sticky even after rinsing and drying several times.

Has any else make this mistake?
    Last edited by bajalion; 09-18-2003 at 12:16 PM.

I usually use Fantastik, I have been told by two different upholstry guys that that is the best stuff for cleaning vinyl, Call Lane Carlisle from Baja, he did my interior, he can tell you. He can also fix it if it needs it and he is real close to Kevin Brown's shop I will try to dig up his number tonight and PM you with it.

Big E
    Baja Lion - Use Goof OFf. You can get it in the paint dept at home depot or lowes. It comes in a little yellow can that says Goof Off on it. Put some on a rag and wipe the oil right off. I have told numerous doubters about this and they have been amazed. A can goes a long way and it only costs around $3.00. Won't hurt you color in your vinyl either. It will pull the stains right out. Give it a try. Eric

My Boats:
    Just toys now
    Akron, OH
    The SF77 removed the grease, no problem. The problem is I think it ruined the vinyl. I use goof off a lot. Great stuff for removing decals and adhesives. It doesn't seen to hurt gel like acetone.

My Boats:
    Zodiac RIB
    Grand Haven, MI USA
    I am afraid you did. I used paint thinner on some tree sap once and it left the sticky feeling you have. It will now collect dirt real easy and will be somewhat sticky for ever. If the spot is not too big I would not worry. The stickyness is from the vinyl breaking down and there is no repair for that. I had a dime size spot that never was normal again.