Notices

Waste Pump Out

Old 09-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waste Pump Out

Well, the water levels dropping in the Great Lakes may have locked me to my boat lift and I did not pump out the head yet.

Has any one attempted to use a manual/power pump to extract waste? I have a 15 gallon waste cell.

I was wondering if a high powered shop vac had enough push or pull to extract the waste material?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any personal experience, but I wouldn't use a shop vac. If you do, I doubt you'll want to use it for anything again.

West Marine has a couple of manual pumps, one with a waste tank that's mounted on wheels ($469.00), and several electric units.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:41 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

What about calling a Port-a-potty company or someone like that. The pump on there truck should be big enough to do the job, but do they have enough hose to reach your boat ?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoops...Sounds like a $hitty situation.
Doug's got a doog idea, see if any septic pump guys can do the hook-up?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 932 Likes on 469 Posts

the shop-vac will work.....but like it was mentioned you wont want to use it again for anything else! been there done that! eeewwweee

A buddy of mine ( a very LAZY buddy) once forgot to empty the port-o-potty in his boat for a few weeks after he officially ended the season. Needless to say the marinas were closed for pump out for the season. What he did was to go over to a mobile gas station and use thier vacs so not to ruin his! Its was a stinky all around the gas station but it got the job done! Id hate to be the guy who had to clean that vac!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wally,
Nice. LMAO!
Old 09-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a boat rigged to suck the crap out here... It is called the Phew-ee II... I'm sure if you talkt to some of the local liveaboarders they have some solution. It only costs about $50 bucks to get 100 gallons of crap pumped here and I would pay way before I would deal with it myself..... We don't go on the boat because of this problem... that is what the water is for.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

USE BAJABOB 38 and a big straw.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice and jokes...I anticipated that this would get some attention.....

The way the winds are now and water dropping inches per day....shop vac to rescue (I may have the sacrificae my 2.5 hp suckker uppper for this assignment). But nothing a gallon of lysol or pinesole sitting in it for a year won't solve.

Fortunately its not a big tank and not very full.

J
Old 09-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I do is - I use a shop vac but I use a 5 gallon catch bucket for the mess. i have a hose that fits into the lid of the 5 gallon bucket and goes to the fitting that goes into the boat. I have a small ( 3/4 ) inch hole in the lid of the bucket lid - I put the hose of the shop vac to that hole and turn it on. works great.
OH - One other thing - If your boat is on the trailer like mine is put a ball type shut off valve in the hose that goes to the boat so that you can turn off the flow when the busket starts to get full. It will siphon out of the tank. If you can find a clear bucket it will be a lot easier to see when the bucket gets full.
Don't let the bucket get too full since you will have to empty it - I pour it into the nearest toilet. Leave the lid on till you get to the toilet since you don't want anythig to splash on you...