Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2004 Miami - New York Race ....$10,000,000 Purse (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59685-2004-miami-new-york-race-%2410-000-000-purse.html)

Pantera24 04-19-2006 07:30 PM

Re: 2004 Miami - New York Race ....$10,000,000 Purse

Ain't...never...won't......

“The telephone has too many disadvantages for us to take it seriously as a method of communication.” Western Union refuses the inventors of the telephone, 1876

“The cinema is no more than fog, the audience wants flesh and blood on the stage.” Charlie Chaplin, 1916

“Machines heavier than air will never fly.”
Lord Calvin, of the greatest mathematicians and physicists, 1895

Otey' Spanky :evilb: :drink:

Raylar 04-19-2006 09:52 PM

Re: 2004 Miami - New York Race ....$10,000,000 Purse

I really like a challange and outside the box thinking, but someone here is so far outside the box they might have to set up camp on lets say MARS! By the time this gets off the ground with the quickly escalating cost of fuel, the wining entrants would prbably only have to spend about 10.5 million.
Think Big, think Crazy, WTF thinking!!

Ray @ Raylar

GLH 01-31-2008 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine (Post 1703724)
2 years in the making .......

I see they updated the website to read 2006.

Anyone know if anything else has moved forward on this project ??? :confused:

Web Site says 2008 now !!! :D

HabanaJoe 01-31-2008 12:40 PM

Things like this are crazy - make no sense at all.

Think about the TV coverage they talk about - impossible!!!

It is a 20-24 hour race, with portions at night. The boats are skattered along miles of ocean - crazy talk to cover it.

It's to long for a 1 hour TV show and to short because there are no stops to make a reality show with 6 episodes out of it.

If you wanted a race like this and really understood how to sell it you go to someone like Bembo (might be spelled wrong) in NY, pitch the race as a 4 or 5 day event, similar to Venice to Monte Carlo with stops along the way. You need a wide spread in your classes so there is huge drama between the have and have nots. Everyone does NOT need to be in uniforms etc to look professional - people don't want to see that on TV.

You want the little guy could win factor and show how dis-organized they are and un-porfessional, yet somehow they appear to hang with the big guys. They want drama in the pits (blown engines, lives shattered, fights with have 7 have nots), hot girls at parties at night, yelling, cursing, people sleeping in the back of pick-up trucks and they want BIG pro-race teams with cocktail tents set-up in advance of the boat pulling in for the day.

I was approached about 6 years ago to do a tournament fishing show like this and I would be the dis-organized, under capitalized little guy that had a chance. The only reason it died was my lawyer thought it best not to maybe be on TV until my issues were resolved- which now they are.

You may all think I'm crazy but maybe that's why you never make it to main stream TV???

Oh- back in 1990 NBC or maybe ABC carried the Miami race on prime time TV if you remember, I was in it! Did they do that again?

Reckless32 01-31-2008 03:08 PM

Filmed, then edited into a one hour segment on one of the cable channels. Kind of like one of those archaeology filmed over a year then crammed into one hour.

orss 01-31-2008 03:58 PM

this race never is goin to happen

HabanaJoe 01-31-2008 04:05 PM

orss - I agree 100%, but if packaged right it would make for good series - hell how many times can you watch the same 5 boats catch stupid crabs!!!! They make the crab season seem like months and it's 2 weeks.

It would be more fun to see the captain and crew get the crabs!!!!

orss 01-31-2008 04:45 PM

20 to 24 hour race you know the amount of drama that you have to put in a tape .... and this is just for any one been interested.
we are a minority, the general public don't understand a boat race in tv , hell i even some time don't understand what is going on in a race in tv, so do you imagine a race that last 20 hours , will be like 6 month sirrees and the people will lost interest that why you have to inject the drama ( the fight with the crew chief, the girl friend crying ,the cheater...etc )

sound cool but is not going to happen

HabanaJoe 01-31-2008 04:57 PM

That is my post above or at least that is what I tried to convey, your right need drama, fighting, less racing and more behind the scenes back-stabbing!

The problem is, the people that would really be in that race have money, are high-profile and would never want to be portrayed in a negative light.

Why did OCC do so good the first 2 seasons, because they didn't have money (real money) and just didn't care. Once that show made them stars you see how they changed.

I know, it's dream, will never happen but it gives us something to ***** about!!!!

orss 01-31-2008 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2428058)
That is my post above or at least that is what I tried to convey, your right need drama, fighting, less racing and more behind the scenes back-stabbing!

The problem is, the people that would really be in that race have money, are high-profile and would never want to be portrayed in a negative light.

Why did OCC do so good the first 2 seasons, because they didn't have money (real money) and just didn't care. Once that show made them stars you see how they changed.

I know, it's dream, will never happen but it gives us something to ***** about!!!!

exactly...

i wish i be wrong, i wish it happen , will be something that the boating community will enjoy...