Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poor Donzi (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59705-poor-donzi.html)

h2owarrior 09-21-2003 03:47 PM

I'm with Candyman and Too Old

That is some of the best offshore photography I have seen in years. The boat upside down with the driver just entering the water......below the boat......actually off to the side.... but none the less, an excellent shot.

I, like others, am very impressed with this boat. I got an excellent / indepth look at one at the Chicago boat show last year and that thing is built.

I also am not sure this is as bad publicity for Donzi as some of you are making it out to be. Their boats win and in the pursuit of winning crashes occur. I do not see people backing away from Fountain because Pier 57 de-laminated last year, or Formula for the very unfortunate accident that occurred this year. People don't stop buying boats because of racing related incidents.

Overall seems to me like a "non event" from a sales standpoint.

FunHome 09-21-2003 04:24 PM

I would be less worried about the boat flipping and more interested in the delamation on the side of the boat!! To me that is a very weird place for a chunk of fiberglass to pop off, I would think the hull had to flex for a peice to come off like that......

BLee 09-21-2003 05:54 PM

Originally posted by MrOffshore
Look at Jason Priestly...perfect example on the water and on the racetrack...he sucks and we're all lucky he's never killed someone. He caused a very serious accident racing boats that could have cost some people (qualified people) their lives. I think we all agree he doesn't belong in a boat.

I talked to David Woods about that in Destin. He said Preistley didn't even say he was sorry. He's a dip****.

Pete B 09-21-2003 06:52 PM

funhome,
the area of delamination, is from the side of the hull flexing there, the boat was sliding in the turn, went up on the wake of another boat and when it came down it dug in causing the boat to flip. it was only the gelcoat that came off in that area. that boat is as solid as they come. the picture sequence is actually about 20 pics, they only used what they could fit to best capture the story.

Pwrbt33 09-22-2003 07:21 AM

Solid as a rock !!

I agree with most of everyones replies. This boat is awesome ! I have had the great privilege of driving our 38 ZR with 750 hp Cobra's, staggered XR sportmasters. This boat handles excellent at high speeds- 108mph, and at low speeds. It absolutely loves any kind of water you throw at it. It's very solid doesn't make any noises and tracks like its on rails.

There are always reasons why boats do what they do. Most of them are caused by water conditions and driver error. (NOT SAYING THAT THIS PHOTO IS DRIVER ERROR AT ALL!) We all have seen and heard this before, just not in a full spread.

Pwrbt33

audacity 09-22-2003 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
come on racing is racing!...this has nothing to do with the company or stepped hulls...plain and simple racing...are you not going to buy a ford taurus on monday because you saw one crash in sundays nascar race???

i think most think of donzi like this and not upside down anyway.

mjpcowboy 09-22-2003 10:20 AM

I would like to see some other MFG's boats flip and even stand a chance of being rebuilt for another race. I have a 2001 ZX that takes a beating at the Ozarks every weekend W/O any problems.

Everyone may have their brand preference but I don't think anyone can honestly think that Donzi is not a solid and stable boat. You will never understand how stable they are until you compare the ride yourself.