Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anybody ski? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59891-anybody-ski.html)

Ms PatriYacht 09-23-2003 10:14 AM

anybody ski?

I notice that board members have a variety of hobbies in addition to their os addiction. To keep from becoming totally depressed since the MI boating season is coming to an end, we are starting to plan the winter ski trip.
We are leaning toward Whistler, it's one of our favorites. I was just reading Ski mag. & they list the 60 top resorts. If you ski where's your favorite place?

Danny Usnik 09-23-2003 10:28 AM

Ms Patriyacht,

Can you give us some details about Whistler.

Dano

ChrisK 09-23-2003 10:34 AM

I thouhgt you where talking about WATER skiing!... sheeesh hehehe

Shane 09-23-2003 10:42 AM

I no longer ski. I snowmobile. I have been a snowmobile fanatic all my life. However, I have several friends that have been and or make an annual pilgrimage to Whistler. They say it is absolutely amazing. If you are qualified, they all recommend a day of heli skiing as well.

Shah Mat 09-23-2003 10:44 AM

Group trip on the East Coast

I do a group trip every year to 7 Springs in PA. I know it's not west coast skiing but it is affordable and drivable from the mid atlantic. Around $200pp includes 2nights lodging, 3 days/nights lift tickets, and most of your meals. Third week in Feb.
Last year I had 38 people.
It would be fun to get some OSOers to go..

rouxsterre 09-23-2003 10:57 AM

Jackson Hole - Wyoming

Ms PatriYacht 09-23-2003 11:04 AM

Questions on Whistler This could take all day, so just the highlights:
- It has one of the longest if not longest vertical in North America
- Tons of great skiable terrain (there might be more than in Vail
- Good lift system, lots of high speed quads, and they start from the middle of the village.
- Great village with lots of night life, tons of bars, restaurants, nd shops. There is no need for a car

Some of the downfalls
- Long trip from the mid west, first you need to get to Vancouver, then it takes about 1.5 hrs by bus to get to the village.
- Weather is iffy, since it is close to the coast you tend to get a lot of fog and not much sun. Often we have sun at the top, ski through clouds and then the bottom is overcast.
We think like most places it is the best in Feb. early March. They have a web site and there is a large adv. supplement in the Oct ski mag. issue.
Hope this helps, let me know if you are planing a trip there
Donna

45sonic 09-23-2003 11:41 AM

I used to ski a lot. Love Summit County, CO (Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, Keystone and A Basin). Love Vail, too. And Squaw Valley in Lake Tahoe.

Was very dissapointed in Mt. Bachlor, OR - too many narrow trails, not enough open spaces (bowls).

On the east - my favorite spot has always been Killington, VT.

My Dad and Stepmother have been to Whistler (got rained out:( ).

Patti

ofshore 09-23-2003 11:51 AM

Whistler would be awesome, unfortunately I'm use to Michigan skiing. It takes 5 minutes to get to the top of the hill, 30 seconds to get back down (hopefully still standing) and a few hours in the lodge for drinks:D. At Whistler, after skiing down a little ways walking back up 40 yards for my skis and poles, skiing down a little further going back again etc.....:) by the time I finally made it to the bottom I'd be too damn tired to drink and since that's not acceptable I'll probably never ski there.:D:D

Tantrum 09-23-2003 12:06 PM

My cousin is on the Ski patrol in Breckenridge so the fun factor is huge. From skiing the back contry to having open doors to all the hot spots and best parties. Plus there is several mountains within minutes as 43Thunder mentioned.
Jackson Hole is way up on top. I havent been out there in several years but it was very low key. Not nearly as commercial and the Teton's are way impressive. Also snowmobiling in JH is un-real.