Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT - "Do Not Call" list gets blocked - WTF? >

OT - "Do Not Call" list gets blocked - WTF?

Notices

OT - "Do Not Call" list gets blocked - WTF?

Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

If someone calls you again and again after being told not to call you, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Harassment?
I'm not a Sue-happy person, but I think this would be one that would keep me off their list.
I believe they can be fined if they call you after being told not to.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
...I believe they can be fined if they call you after being told not to.
Up to $11,000 per penalty. Go ahead - make my day. Call me again.

Between the 50 million people already signed up and the rapid actions of Congress, i see a clear message being sent here:

"Yo, telemarketers - Can you hear me now?"

Stop chuckling, spammers - YOU'RE NEXT!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
If someone calls you again and again after being told not to call you, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Harassment?
I'm not a Sue-happy person, but I think this would be one that would keep me off their list.
I believe they can be fined if they call you after being told not to.
When I moved down here to the shore this summer, the people at the Asbury Park Press were about to get shot for this. I would leave for the day, come home, and see that they called 12 times on the caller ID. Then they wold call a few more times at night - EVERY day. Pissed me off enough to actually go into the local office in person. (It's about 3 blocks from my house.) Never got another phone call from them after that day.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that Tm is a huge nuisance. In the past, the phone usually rang at the most inopportune times - like when I'm upside-down in my bilge, or up on a ladder. I usually would rush to answer the phone expecting it to be someone I really want to talk to, only to hear them butcher my name - "Could I speak with Mr. Stimmiz?". I usually respond with "There's no one here by that name", which is the truth. If you can't get my name right I'm sure as hell not talking to you!

A whistle hanging by the phone works well for TM, as well as prank callers.

Seems like there was a comedian that I head on the radio who had some hilarious skits where he toyed with the TM's. I remember one where he asked a carpet cleaning company if they knew how to get bloodstains out of carpet - LOTS of bloodstains!

Oh yeah, Kentucky enacted a state-wide no-call list a couple of years ago. It seems to work, too - calls have dropped off drastically for me.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the telemarketers set up this law so they could send spam mail to whoever signed up!!! Their email distro list is up to 50 million.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

Oh, the other part of CNN last night said the list of people not to call was already handed out to telemarketers so if the law doesn't come into effect the telemarketers just received a list of 50 million people they can now call.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

I would think telemarketers would embrace this policy. Why would they want to waste time trying to sell stuff to people who have clearly stated that they WILL NOT buy? It seems to me that they would have more time to call the people that MAY buy. Does not make sense to me.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the problems with the do not call list is that it hurts local business people like me, that call local people to make a living. I am in the investment business and have changed hundreds of peoples lives by giving them a brighter outlook on the future and it is all because i have called them. see most americans are procrastinators and with out people like me to push them along alittle these people could end up on our wellfare rolls when they retire causing your taxes to go up, because they just never got around to planning for retirement. Another reason the rule sucks is because if someone sighns up on the list I am not supposed to call them even if they are a client, so if there investments are tanking, I am not supposed to call them to let them know. I just called a guy about a week ago because i found $5000 in suspence with the company that this guy was intitled to but the company did not have a right address for this guy, so anyway I called him he told to to f@#k off and not to call again because he was on the do not call list. so guess what I won't, he he he.....
Old 09-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Budman
"Could I speak with Mr. Stimmiz?". I usually respond with "There's no one here by that name", which is the truth.
If I ever find "Ruth Hughes", who apparently had my phone number before I did, I'm gonna go off on her, because I sure as hell am sick of getting her phone calls a year and a half later. She must be on EVERY TM's list that is in existence. "Are you SURE Ruth isn't there?" WTF?? I started telling them that Ruth expired last night unexpectedly, from choking on a hairball. I usually get the silence, and then "click."

My other favorite that I get, because I sound young, is:

TM: "Is your mother there?"
Me: "No."
TM: "Do you know when she'll be back?"
Me: "Never"
TM: "Never? Seriously, is your mother there?"
Me: "Seriously, if you want to talk to my mother, you'll need to make a celestial phone call."

CLICK