Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ohio River tips for first time river rat` (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60022-ohio-river-tips-first-time-river-rat%60.html)

BAD-HABIT 09-26-2003 03:34 AM

So are you saying to "pass" on boating if the river level is above 32 feet:confused:

BH

birdog 09-26-2003 07:18 AM

Thats what Kentz is saying ! I would agree ! 25 years of boating down here.......Go to Erie !!!

jafo272 09-27-2003 06:35 AM

I boat down river from Corydon to Evansville IN there is alot of sandbars but if you dont know the area it is best to stay near the channel bouys. The Lousiville locks can be a real bear because they seam to let pleasure boats thru only at certain times or always last. Because of the crappy year most stops down river from Lousiville are pulling there docks out. Im pulling one out sunday at a local ramp.

BAD-HABIT 09-28-2003 05:39 AM

Well looks like I will be making the trip to Eagle Creek Marina near Ripley. Forcast is calling for Mostly Sunny High near 65. Winds around 10mph. River Forecast is calling for about 28.5ft.......Whats the river/trip like going up to Cincinnatti? I would like to make the trip by boat. Any thing I should watch out or be carefull of? Also is there a good place to eat at (from the water/with docks) near cincinnatti? Would probally end up doing lunch then making the trip back to Ripley....Will I run into any locks between Ripley or Cinci? I will hit Maysville later in the day......I plan on staying near the center of the channel if possible and watching out for any of the big boys that are out....Any tips are welcome..

BH

Lou502 09-28-2003 06:42 AM

we 've made the run from louisville to cincy a few times and had lot s of fun ! fortunately no problems . went through the locks at madison in . also just north was the B elterra C asino ! there was a small marina just north and they sent a limo to pick us up . had mucho funnn ! ;)

birdog 09-28-2003 07:58 AM

Where are you starting from ? When are you doing this ?
There is 1 lock between Cin & Ripley....Also look at White Oak creek Marina...The owners are friends..Great people !

Allan4 09-28-2003 01:39 PM

I know a bunch of folks at Eagle Creek, been there several times. They will hook you up. No a real big place, but has a nice ramp.

You are up river fron Cincy and down river from Maysville....although not by much.

There is a dam/lock in between Cincy and Eagle Creek. Plan on about 2 hour trip to Cincy if you are just cruising.

Plenty of places to eat on the river in Cincy.....have fun, October is a great time to be on the rver...very scenic and you can usually get some really nice 75* days here and there.

:)

RollWithIt 09-28-2003 07:43 PM

You will find that the Ohio is rather well marked with channel markers due to the shipping industry on it. We have been getting alot of debris coming down from the Monongaheala River since Isabel came through. Eventually these same logs and everything will make it to you guys down river. It is safer during the day if you are going to run faster but at night I recommend slowing it down. I have seen a couple boats with drives ripped off due to hitting debris at night. Good luck and have fun.

Dano 09-28-2003 08:14 PM

Hey, we will be doing the fun run to LVillle along with a bunch of other go fasters in the TSPBPA. True that the season has been less than adequate but ya' gotta suit up for every opportunity. Party 0n and have a good time...be safe, go fast and have a good time.

BAD-HABIT 09-28-2003 08:39 PM

Originally posted by birdog
Where are you starting from ? When are you doing this ?
There is 1 lock between Cin & Ripley....Also look at White Oak creek Marina...The owners are friends..Great people !

Well I am a little concerened about this lock thing:rolleyes: What is the procedure for using the locks? I mean this probally sounds stupid but I have never even seen a lock!! I am looking forward to the experence though....How do you approach them and what is the correct way to accomplish passing through them...Thanks again for the info.

Randy
A.K.A. Bad-Habit