Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When do you cut your losses and move on??? >

When do you cut your losses and move on???

Notices

When do you cut your losses and move on???

Old 09-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry When do you cut your losses and move on???

I have spent the past 3 yrs. trying to build the boat of my dreams. I am on my 3rd high performance marina and still cannot get the bugs worked out. The 1 st. 2 marinas were less than scrupulous, through lies and lousy work, and caused more problems and wasted money! Not to mention weeks of down time and aggrevation. I still have high hopes with the 3rd marina.

Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge or skills to fix my problems, and my bank account is not a bottomless pit!! Why does it have to be so hard to get things done right???

The boat is solid, and the motors run strong but its all the bugs that are killing me. When is it time to give up and move on? Meaning, when do you cut your losses? There is no way I will ever get my money back that I have in the boat. Do I continue on this path or do I try to find someone to buy the boat with the disclosed info?

I haved loved the thrill of offshore boats since I was a kid but now I am at the point of selling and putting the money in the bank and not buying another boat. I don't think I can justify the hassle and expense any more, it just does not seem worth it!

Last edited by Pure Energy; 09-29-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Allan4

Wow....sorry to hear this. I can imagine your frustrations...that's for sure

My suggestion is to find a highly reputable shop and have a nice long conversation with them and see what they say. Get everythng in writing if you decide to do biz with them.

Hope it all works out. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Man,

Howz it going? I went to stock power and although I don't have bragging rights anymore, it is as turn key as you get. I'll probably never own a blower motor again -and I had no problems at all with the last one. All the horror stories from guys I know, like you, really turned me off to them. Unless you have the bottomless bank account.

ate
Old 09-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would think that there will be a reputable OSOer in your area that will read this and either offer or refer you to someone good. There are a lot of smart people here.
Or, sell your blower motors and buy new (stock)mercs 502 w/EFI.

Last edited by convincor; 09-28-2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Registered

bro never give up...
Old 09-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Shooter is right. You cant beat a stock set of HP500's for reliability and performance.

We both been down the same path. you are so close to getting a upper hand on everything. eventually you will have replaced every part on the boat like I did and get a good season on it.

don't worry we will get her running this week.

and to answer your question on when you should of cut your losses. ..... The moment you thought of buying a boat....... You would have been better off spending your money on cheep whores and booze.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know around here in my area most are liers also They don't seem to be able to fix any real problems. You may find someone on here if you are willing to take the boat to them?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:08 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Hey Ken, sorry to hear about the latest difficulites.

I think most of us have discovered that no marine mechanic is perfect, and all too many are way less than perfect.

Perhaps the best thing would be to talk to the owner of the excellent marine repair facility in question, and get him to ride with you to see the problem first hand. I am sure he will see to it that it things are put right.

Some mechanics don't want to admit mistakes, or spend the time to fix problems that annoy owners, but not mechanics. They are unlikely to report these things to their boss unless the owner brings it to the bosses attention in a calm and rational manner.

Good luck, sorry we kept missing each other this summer. Hope you had a great time at Block Island!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hot Boat
You would have been better off spending your money on cheep whores and booze. [/B]

Best times I ever had!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's tough having to trust these outfits. It blows my mind that they still charge you even after they don't fix anything! Why not go for a sea trial before paying?

I hate to say it, but you may be better off cutting your losses. I've been down this road countless times with go-fast toys. I've never won by continuing to throw money into the project, but I allways do anyway. Then again, what will you do if you sell the boat?

Bad timing for me, I was looking for your exact boat a month ago.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: When do you cut your losses and move on???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.