Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another E-Bay SCAM (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60257-another-e-bay-scam.html)

Vinny P 09-28-2003 07:55 PM

Another E-Bay SCAM

We have all seen it before. Here is another example of how you can get screwed on E-Bay. Luckily for me, I didn't fall for the scam. This guy was so stupid, you would have to be a real idiot to go along with what he wanted. Here is what happened:

I was surfing through E-Bay and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2431396799

As you can see the ad was a little unusual. But, with a "Buy It Now" price of $4800. how could you go wrong. Even it it needed a rebuild, it was a steal. The ad said the motor was in Pennsylvania, I live in New York, I would just go to this guys house and check it out. If the motor did exist, I would load it up and take it home. I wasn't going to send this guy any cash without seeing the motor first. So, I hit the "Buy It Now" and win the auction, I get an e-mail from this guy saying that he is in Berlin, Germany and I should send him the payment + 5% to cover the Western Union costs, and he would pick up the shipping. As soon as he gets a confirmation of payment, he would ship it from Germany. By the way, the address he wanted the payment sent to is in Germany. I say, WTF, the motor is supposed to be in PA, I will drive to wherever the motor is with cash and pick it up. He never answered another e-mail from me. So, now my only recourse is to give this guy bad feedback ( big deal ) and report him to E-Bay as a fraudulent seller. I hope they will at least kick him off E-Bay for this.

Any other ideas??

mcollinstn 09-28-2003 09:19 PM

I saw a recent scam as well. A guy with lots of good feedback listed a pair of Def Tech 7000's. I inquired about the speakers but never bid on them.

The auction ended at less than the reserve, but he emailed me that I could have them for the final bid if I wanted them. I asked why the high bidder wasn't getting them and he said that the guy had not yet replied to the end of the auction (it had been 4 hours since the auction ended).

I emailed the winning bidder and he replied that he had not yet received any message from the seller and he had figured that the speakers would not sell for his bid.

I went to the bid history and emailed all the bidders (4) and told them that the seller had offered the speakers to me outside of ebay for the high bid of $3150. Two of them replied to me and told me that he had offered the speakers to them as well. I emailed the others back and told them that I was going to tell the seller that Iwanted the speakers and that I needed an address to send the money to. They said they would do the same. The seller would not send me an address, but gave me a Paypal address to send the money to. He gave that same address to the others who responded.

The seller was going to get us to send him money and never end merchandise. Since it was outside Ebay it would not affect his feedback at all. We told Ebay what was up. They said they would look into it, but that tey were not responsile for any transactions outside of the Ebay framework.

I emailed him back and told him that I was uncomfotable sending money to Paypal outside of Ebay and that I suggested we use the E-escrow service and I would pay the $25 fee. He never emailed back.

HiPerf2000 09-28-2003 09:31 PM

someone tried the same scam on me with a ducati on ebay. it never met the reserve, but he mailed me and said i can have it for the final bid price. the guy said to send him the money via western union to Spain, and he would pick up the shipping cost from Spain. This got me suspicious. When i asked him to take more pics of the bike including a shot of the serial number he said he couldn't and just asked for the payment. So i realized it was a scam. 3 days later he emailed me saying that he still hasn't recieved my payment.

i hope people are not dumb enough to fall for this stuff. even if they get kicked off ebay, they just get a new free yahoo address and get bqck on ebay.

TEAMBAJA 09-29-2003 07:45 AM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
I saw a recent scam as well. A guy with lots of good feedback listed a pair of Def Tech 7000's. I inquired about the speakers but never bid on them.

The auction ended at less than the reserve, but he emailed me that I could have them for the final bid if I wanted them. I asked why the high bidder wasn't getting them and he said that the guy had not yet replied to the end of the auction (it had been 4 hours since the auction ended).

I emailed the winning bidder and he replied that he had not yet received any message from the seller and he had figured that the speakers would not sell for his bid.

I went to the bid history and emailed all the bidders (4) and told them that the seller had offered the speakers to me outside of ebay for the high bid of $3150. Two of them replied to me and told me that he had offered the speakers to them as well. I emailed the others back and told them that I was going to tell the seller that Iwanted the speakers and that I needed an address to send the money to. They said they would do the same. The seller would not send me an address, but gave me a Paypal address to send the money to. He gave that same address to the others who responded.

The seller was going to get us to send him money and never end merchandise. Since it was outside Ebay it would not affect his feedback at all. We told Ebay what was up. They said they would look into it, but that tey were not responsile for any transactions outside of the Ebay framework.

I emailed him back and told him that I was uncomfotable sending money to Paypal outside of Ebay and that I suggested we use the E-escrow service and I would pay the $25 fee. He never emailed back.

$3150 for a pair of speakers? WTF are you thinking!? :confused:

check freak 09-29-2003 09:42 AM

I keep seeing the same thing on snowmobiles that I am finding on ebay. Sleds that are basically brand new, with a buy-it-now price of less than half price. I think that anything that is too good to be true is just that "too good to be true". I think that common sence, doing your research are your best tools for not getting burned on ebay. By the way, I just bought a sled from ebay. When I drove to pick it up, it was actually in mint condition just like it was advertised. Just my .02!

tssteph 09-29-2003 10:50 AM

Same thing on a Harley V Rod I was looking at ... what a jacka$$

Clay Washington 09-29-2003 11:01 AM

I feel bad for the people that lose their money to these scam artists, but...

You have got to be an idiot to send money "offshore"! What are these people thinking??? :rolleyes:

Vinny P 09-29-2003 06:31 PM

This guy must have hoped that he would attract an idiot with his cheap priced ad. Nothing lost from my end, just gets you pissed off that there are people out there doing this sort of thing. :hothead:

CAP071 09-29-2003 07:47 PM

I was just reading an article about E-bay saying how it's a haven for scams now. That E-bay is trying to work them out of the system but it's hard to do right now.

wwwTOPDJcom 09-29-2003 08:21 PM

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/f-verify.html#1