Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   >16,000 HP, 118 Ft, 70 MPH YOu gotta see this! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60725-16-000-hp-118-ft-70-mph-you-gotta-see.html)

turbosonic1 10-05-2003 11:52 AM

>16,000 HP, 118 Ft, 70 MPH YOu gotta see this!

1 Attachment(s)
Check this out!

http://www.wally.com/jumpch.asp?idCh...r=0&attivo=2-4

Steve 1 10-05-2003 01:46 PM

They better junk that wind tunnel.I am sure Garwood back in the 20's could of done better with it.

Danny Usnik 10-05-2003 03:48 PM

..."WallyPower" come on that just reminds me of National Lampoon's Vacation. What a cheese name."

I don't disagree with you but the guy probably has a good time saying to people " Whats the name of your 118' 70 MPH yacht ? "

It says on the site under Hull Construction, " Advanced Material. WTF, whatever it is it still has a name. Carbon Fiber, Kevlar or something. I'm doubting if it's a new material that they invented. I don't know.

Over & Out,
Dano

CBR 10-05-2003 05:05 PM

I am partial to the sub yachts they are making these days. Can dive 1,000 feet with a range of 1,000 miles. A trivial 40 million or so.

The 65 foot model was charging its batteries near me in Montauk last summer. 7 hours of high powered desiel engines running full bore to charge the battery banks, like a U-boat. I did not even know it was a sub until later, just a &%$# noisy yacht with no exernal rails and a very streamlined shape. Amazing!

Check out www.ussubmarines.com

super termoli 10-06-2003 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For anyone interested, the boat in question is actually powered by three Textron TF50 turbines producing 5600hp each. It has two Cummins 370hp diesels for docking and slow ocean crossings at about 10 mph. The hull is mainly carbon fiber. The estimated top speed is actually 80 mph but in recent tests, it did not exceed 65 mph due to "high atmospheric temperature". Apparently, it was over 90°F so the turbines lost about 25% of their advertised output. I wonder if it could get on plane at the Ozarks in August. That smart comment aside, it is still pretty damn impressive. Now on to the name. This is actually not THE name of the boat. It is more of a model name since this is the first in the line of semi-custom boats. Wally Yachts have been making high-tech carbon fiber sailing boats for a while and recently they got into power boats. They made interesting day boats used as tenders for their large sailing boats and then 2 years ago decided to step it up and make this 118' monster. The project was launched but due to the extreme nature of the beast, nobody stepped up to the plate and bought the damn thing. So the Wally Yachts owner and president, Luca Bassani made it his own boat that he now uses to promote the range which is naturally called "Wally Power". Hence the name of the boat, for promotional purposes. Why nobody bought it? Consider this: at full throttle, it guzzles about 850 gallons per hour which means that it can go only about 350 miles on a full tank. In addition, it has only 3 moderately-sized double cabins which is very limited for a 118' boat. And finally, the price is just over 24 million so there was nobody crazy enough. However, the boat did work as a marketing tool as the word is that few have been sold in a watered-down version. That means no turbines but two big MTU diesels which should still provide about 50 mph. This poor man's version can be yours for only about 15 million...

super termoli 10-06-2003 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wally Power main salon

super termoli 10-06-2003 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wally Power dining room. Notice the carbon fiber table.

super termoli 10-06-2003 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I prefer this though. This is "Fortuna" which belongs to King Juan Carlos of Spain and which has been made by IZAR shipyards in Spain. Even bigger than Wally Power but confirmed 77 mph top speed. If you like big and fast, John Staluppi seems to be cooking up something mean, we are talking approx. 130' with a top speed in mid 80s. Remember John Staluppi of Octopussi, Dillinger, Moonraker fame? All huge and very fast yachts.

GLH 10-06-2003 04:01 PM

Looking at those models the best assesment is a quote from "Slap Shot"
"They're fu@kin' horrible-lookin'!"-John Upton

T2x 10-06-2003 04:17 PM

That may be the ugliest thing I've ever seen......Tom Gentry's Trans Atlantic yacht with diesel power and a little turbine for "oomph" was just as fast....and a lot prettier.

It looks like some sailing "yacht designer" grafted a salon-cockpit onto a sailing cat sponson design........and created a whatsis. Is it me...or are the running pictures made with Photoshop?

T2x