Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stinkload of boat for the money? >

Stinkload of boat for the money?

Notices

Stinkload of boat for the money?

Old 10-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinkload of boat for the money?

Sunseeker
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435702346
Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered

Friend has one of those with triple 502's - damn near the ultimate party boat, but boy oh boy is it thirsty! I don't know how many $1200 weekends (gas only!) I could afford....
Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 PM
packinair

I can see madcow in that

Old 10-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally posted by packinair
I can see madcow in that
That is a nice looking peice. I'm just not sure I want a salt water boat.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas gods love that boat also
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 AM
TeamSonic42

Did a Poker Run this summer with a 50'er with Trip diesel power and surface drives. The two outer drives used 6 blade props, the inner used a 5 blade prop. That thing was putting out an impressive rooster tail to say the least. He ran right with me at 50-55mph with no sweat. Strange to see a boat that big, runnin next to my 42 !

Impressive boat. Said retail was $750k but he got it for under $600k.

Guy loved the boat. A club member has a 45' with trip 496's ( recent repower ) and that bad boy runs pretty good too. Lots of room, and great exhaust note too !

Nice boats to say the least. Lots of room, and still can run 50-60+ mph. I read that some of the larger ones (70' + ) with big diesels ( 1500hp ea ) can run 70mph. Pretty damn impressive......

Old 10-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Registered

the 45' Apache is an early 90s design and the problem is the drive configuration/engines. It is powered by twin or triple I/O which is not appropriate for such a heavy boat. It's a Don Shead hull design so it will behave pretty well in big water but the drives kept on breaking on diesel versions powered by triple Volvo KAD42 230hp diesels. I am not sure about the drives on gas versions but then the sheer mass of the boat causes other problems, consumption for instance. Also, the advertised boat having 540 Bulldogs, I would still be worried a little about those Bravos. Anyway, during that early 90s period, Sunseeker also had a very similar boat in its range, the Superhawk 50 which had surface drives and only diesel power. The best version had twin 680hp MANs and it ran 55 mph. It was wider than the Apache and it still looks really good. You can pick those up in Europe for about the price this guy is asking for the Apache (if I understood well that he is shooting for 119K). As for the TeamSonic's friend, he had the newest version of the Superhawk which comes in two forms. There is a 48' which uses either gas or diesel I/O power and there is a 50' which is exactly the same boat except for the rear end which is longer and configured for surface drives. The drives are Trimax (Buzzi) and the engines are triple YANMAR 440hp each. This means that the whole drivetrain is virtually indestructible and the boat will run 55 to 57 mph. So it is a very sweet boat but a bit of a pig. I think it's something like 26 000lb and it really shouldn't be this heavy. In comparison, the Fountain 48 Express Cruiser runs 63 mph with same power while being slightly wider. Hustler's new 49 runs 80 mph with 4 YANMAR engines and Trimax drives and it will run 65 mph with one engine switched off. All this to say that while the Sunseeker 50 Superhawk is a very sweet boat which offers a comfy ride in big water, it is not really the latest and the greatest in hull design. As for the weight, it is the result of a pretty sloppy construction for a performance boat: just regular balsa-cored fiberglass layup, no high-tech stuff. Finally, I have one for sale. It is a 2001 model with 116 hours on it, which is lower than nothing for a diesel. It's gonna cost you 350K. Fact is: Sunseeker pump their prices up in the U.S. to reflect higher purchasing power in that market so a boat like that ends up being listed for 750K and sold for 600K. Don't fall for it, if you really want one, give me a shout. As for the big Sunseekers, the Predator 75 with three 1500hp MTUs runs 57 mph. I believe they made only one with triples though. Most of them have twin MTUs and run 44 mph.