Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!! >

Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Notices

Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Old 10-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bruce....Anytime, she's been bugging me to get her back up to Croom. I keep telling her when it cools down some and we are almost back to the bike weather !!! Dave
Old 10-08-2003, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Same here, we're waiting for the cooler weather too. Have you been up to Ocala? Hundreds of miles of trails.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Registered

I have never been to Ocala but I hear GREAT things about it. Croom gets alittle uncomfortable at times when riding with my daughter. Alot of idiots up there running stupid !!! I've heard Ocala you need a GPS !!! Like to go sometime. Dave
Old 10-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's one for you guys. Has anyone ever heard of the Blackwater 100? How about Bob Sloan? The Blackwater 100 was called America's Toughest Race. It was run in Davis, West Virgina until the tree huggers shut it down. I ran in it twice with a best finish of fifth overall. Thats not a bad finish out of three or four hunderd. Bob Sloan was my best friend and racing partner for several years in the mid and late 80s. He was about as good as they get on a bike or quad. He lost his life racing while he was at the top. They named the Ironman race in the GNCC after him. It is coming up here in Indiana in a few weeks.

Last edited by boatfreak; 10-08-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

No bikes, I play on this when the weather is not fit for boating.

BTW, its for sale
Attached Thumbnails Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!-bp_2004ltz400_a.jpg  
Old 10-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

I've raced Flatrack (shorttrack and half miles) and Hare Scrambles and done a ton of trail riding in Michigan. Wherever you're going this weekend Joe, I have probably been there, myself. The CCC runs were a lot of fun, too. Since I started boating about 6 years ago, I have only been on the bikes a couple of times. Going fast on the water is the closest thing to riding a dirt bike that I have ever done. The best part is you don't get dirty and beat up! Watching the waves change and adjusting to them is just like watching the trail on a bike. Same thing. Just go as fast as you can and don't stuff it. Tons of fun.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Default good ole day's

I used to ride mx since I was nine had the KX-125 AND THEN WENT TO CR-125 MUCH BETTER SUPENSION, IT WAS ALL PLEASURE RIDING ,NEVER IN ANY REAL COMPETION BUT SOMEWHERE around here I have a picture catching some major air in full leather dress,no helmet shooting over the top of a full size pickup. after a few broken bones and getting to41 years old I, am way to out of shape to do those kind of stunts anymore.

THE GOOD OLE DAY'S

I tried the street bike scene here in Houston and knew it was a matter of days before , I would get ran over the top of,so I cashed out quick on the Honda ACE (POOR MANS Harley)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I started dirtbike riding when I was 6. Racing when I was 10. Had a Husqvarna 250CR when I was 12.

Raced mostly mx but mixed in a little hare scrambles in the 80's. Raced two with Scott Summers (yeah, he beat me both times).

Roadraced an HRC VFR750 in 1987 thru 89 in the WERA series (A and B Superbike).

I pretty much stopped racing regularly in 89 but occasionally went to one or 2 mx races a year to demoralize all the youngsters for one lap (after which my lack of conditioning put me midpack amidst gasping and wheezing).

I still have a street legal '86 VFR that was a backup bike from the day. And still have my '86 KX250, which has a fresh topend and a fresh rebuild on the shock.

Recently bought a klx300 to ride with my kids (ttr90 and z50). It was the fastest short bike I could locate. I still can't touch the ground on it, but it's a good sight easier to touch on than the YZ450F I came real close to buying...

Mx is just too fun. Even a short wheezing fat man can kick out a good crossup over the tabletop.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Registered

Thumbs up 86 kx 250

That was one fast bike ,and yes the front forks needed a few mods,my friend was always riding on the back tire of his.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

my '86 is an anvil.
Has a DMC pipe and homemade silencer (I had a polished aluminum straight thru with a turndown tip long before they became popular). Never wanted for more power. Last REAL race I entered it in was Paris TN in 1991. Started over 40 bikes in that class and my 225 pound ass came out of the first corner in third place.

Of course, it is no longer competitive with the current bikes. Suspension technology and steering geometry won't cut and carve like the new units. I'd say it isn't hurting very much on power, though.

The last few years, I have only gotten it out once or twice for the neighborhood kids. Jump it off the 11' retaining wall in the front yard and ride a few 1/2 mile wheelies for them, finishing off with a giant stoppie that hangs in the air for 2 or 3 seconds after the bike is stopped... Just for kicks.

With my kids starting to ride, I am excited again about dirt riding. It will be a few years before they can ride fast enough for me to wick it up much, but they like for me to put them in front of me on the KLX and ride pretty dang hard. The KLX, though, is only around 30hp so it's a little mellower. The KX makes them nervous and I can't touch the ground on it well enough to stop with them or put my feet down in slick stuff so that's why I went to the KLX thumper.

Quick Reply: Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.