Notices

OT: Back Surgery

Old 10-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Back Surgery

Has anyone here ever had a Spinal Fussion? What are the pros and cons.

Thanks

David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY brother had 2 back surgeries still isn't 100% but he is a bit better with less pain I'm not sure exactly what he had done I'll have to give him a call but Like I said it took 2 times.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looooong recovery

Take it SLOW! I know a really big guy (read fat) who had this surgery. Too few aides tried to move him post op and DROPPED HIM! He is permanently paralyzed from the lower waist down. Risk nothing and don't rush things.

On the other side of the coin, I taught a guy with 7 fusions to windsurf. He feels great, just a lot less flexible!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Registered

I had a disk removed a few years back. A piece of advice, find a good doc. It doesn't matter where you have to go, find a good doc. I was back to work in 4 days and back in the race boat in 6 weeks.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:58 PM

All we do is minimally invasive spinal surgery. Call me and I'd be glad to answer any of your questions. 1-732-967-1001. Otto
Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had surgery on my lumbar region and came out perfect. No fusion or disks removed but he did open up the spine to expose the spinal cord. I had spinal stenosis which is a form of bone growth that was putting pressure on the nerves causing pain, numbness and weakness in both legs.
The procedure I had is called a Laminectomy.
Prior to surgery I could barely stand up. Walking was a real chore. If I didn't have it fixed when I did the doc said I'd be in a wheelchair by now.
I was hospitalized for 24 hours and recuperated at home for four weeks.

If you are considering the procedure, do all the investigation you can. Talk with those that had it done and find out what the success rate is.
Here's a good place to start. The people here were very helpful. Spine-Health.com

One other thing. Everyone that I talked to that had success with their procedure had it done by a Neurosurgeon not an Orthopedic. I had mine fixed by a Neurosurgeon that specialized in spine and brain surgery. Look for a good Neurosurgeon.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Registered

Vagrant,

I had a 4-Level with a Laminectomy year before last on my lower. Make sure you get a good doctor. I had both a Neuro and an Orthopedic work on me. I settled on the third Neuro I spoke with. I wouldn't let the first one cut my lawn let alone my back. Damn HMO's. And like everyone else has said, take it slow, and don't push it.

When all was said and done, I can still do all of the activities I used to do. He did say no bungee jumping or sky diving.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

after having 4 back surgery herniated disc the fusion should be a last resort type thing. when i was 20 im 47 now i had my first operation car wreck i did great with no real problems for 22yrs then one day i started feeling achey in the cheek of my butt and within 2months i was in a great deal of pain not in the back in my butt and leg. i went in talked to acouple doctors found on a felt comfortable with, and had the operation done again what a breeze they actually did it as a out patient kind of thing ( gave me the option to spend the night or go home i like my own bed ) by the end on the week i was walking close to 2mile a day everthing was great back to work in no lifting in a week felt great in the 3rd week. i was down on the dock and slipped and fell and basiclly blew another disc chunk and it all started over again and couple years after the third one through common sense to the wind and was back i for a forth time. i belief i have learned my limitation and call for help on the heavey or ackward things that need to be moved. in short id question the fusion but wouldnt live with the pain get it done pretty simply stuff this day and age.
later
Old 10-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Better posture???...

All kiddin' aside, what happened?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Tip: if the procedure your considering includes bone "plugs" between the vertebrae to maintain disc space (most likely), take doner bone for the plugs...you will have more pain from the surgery to harvest your own bone from your pelvis wing than from the fusion operation itself. Definitely go NUEROSURGEON . No spine surgery is a given, but for pain relief and preventing further symptoms...the majority are a success. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.