Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Back Surgery (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/61335-ot-back-surgery.html)

fatdaddy 10-13-2003 08:50 PM

All the advice given is good advice. Make an informed decision. On a lighter note, Rush became addicted to pain killers after his surgery, i.e. don't use his Dr..

hitman 10-13-2003 08:59 PM

7 Years Pain Free!!!

Had a radical back procedure 7yrs ago, never felt better!!! In fact I race dirtbikes again, most told me Id never walk right again before this surgery.... 2 words John Zinkel.... He came from the Cleveland Clinic, one of the best in the nation, neurosurgeon that is!!! He is in Grosse Point, Michigan. Email me if you have questions... Good Luck!!! Do your homework!!! George

Tricky919 10-14-2003 12:02 AM

Had a two level fusion in my neck this past Feb.. Get a few opinions from some good neurosurgeons. Have my good days and bad but am glad I am boating......Good Luck........

Mr. Demeanor 10-14-2003 12:22 AM

I have had 6 back surgeries. I was fused about a year ago at two levels, L4-5 and L5-S1. My story is long and I have some advice. Feel free to call me at 708-426-3564. They are having great resuls with replacement discs. Heres a link to the best website on the spine:
www.spineuniverse.com
The best advice I can give here would be to go with a known surgeon at a teaching hospital. They seem to be on the cutting edge.
Feel free to call me.
Chris

puder 10-14-2003 12:42 AM

yeah my dad had them. they were pretty much failures. Until the latest ones. He now has "bracket" over several discs. It sliterally ametal bracket. It seems to have done the trick as he is pretty mobile these day. He took a hiking tour of nepal last year. The last surgery (the succesful one) was i beileve either the 8th or 9th one he's had. And tehre were onlya handful of surgeons ebven willgin to consider doign the procedue he had. Eventually he went wit the head of spinal surgery from beth israel in NYC (and no you don't have to be jewish to have surgery there, were not).

vagrant 10-14-2003 01:52 PM

Thanks to everyone that responded.

I am going to have a MRI done this Friday . The doctor did a ex ray last Thursday and it does not look good . My lower vertebrae ( I forgot the numbers) the disk is all but gone. He said surgery is going to be my best option.
The type of procedure is that 2 metal plates along with 2metal rods are inserted between the vertebrae's and from what I understand the spine will be fused together.
I guess by treaded rod and bolts that screw into the plate.
Man this is some scary ****. I have probably waited to long as it is . So I will have to do something soon. I have been it pain for about 10 years and just tried to live with it. But it has gotten the best of me and I am tried of hurting. The doctor told me that recovery time could be anywhere form 3 months to 1 year depending on the damage they find. I am not one to bring stuff like this to a open forum but I am glad I did. You guys have given me so good info and I am very thankful for that.

Thanks

David Ledford

Iggy 10-14-2003 02:18 PM

WOW!
Keep us posted after the MRI results come back.

Check on your short and long term disability insurance.
Will your disabilty ins. cover your pay 100%? Or 60% like mine? I have gap insurance that covered the missing 40% of my pay. Do you?
Get all the paperwork started as soon as possible. Some policies don't kick in for 7 days. Look into using vacation, sick, or personal time to cover the waiting period.

Not trying scare you, just want you to be prepared so you don't have to worry about anything but recuperating.

I am not one to bring stuff like this to a open forum but I am glad I did.
No problem. Remember...we're all one big family. Glad to help.

Reckless32 10-14-2003 02:29 PM

Dave it will only get worse with age my man. Get it done and look forward to a better quality of life ahead...Best of luck to ya...

MitchStellin 10-14-2003 02:29 PM

About 5 years ago I had this surgery. It has worked well and they only removed the part of the disk pushing on the nerve. As we speak right now I have the pain down my butt and to my knee, I hope it corrects its self or I may be going back again. I will do anything before that happens. It can work wonders, just don't go crazy when you feel good or you will over do it. Good luck.

VelocityMark 10-14-2003 02:42 PM

David

Sorry to hear about the back problems. Keep us posted, and please don't hesitate to call if you need anything. I am still going to the quacka practer for mine and hoping it will get better.