If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    2000, BatBoat B24
    San Diego, CA

My sperm is burned out, the new male birth control

Cannabis use may impair male fertility

Tuesday October 14, 2003
    The Guardian

Sperm from men who smoke cannabis regularly may fail to fertilise eggs because of premature burn-out, scientists said yesterday.

A study by scientists at Buffalo University school of medicine in New York showed the sperm move too fast, too early. Cannabis smokers also produced fewer sperm than non-drug takers.

The findings, presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine in San Antonio, Texas, suggest that cannabis use can impair male fertility.

The scientists compared sperm from 22 cannabis smokers and 59 fertile men. Sperm were counted and tested for their ability to move.

The team also assessed "hyperactivity", a burst of vigorous swimming which is supposed to occur as sperm approach an egg.

Chief researcher Lani Burkman said: "The sperm from marijuana smokers were moving too fast, too early. The timing was all wrong. These sperm will experience burn-out before they reach the egg and would not be capable of fertilisation."

The amount of seminal fluid and number of sperm from cannabis smokers were also significantly reduced.

The cannabis smokers were frequent users who had taken the drug an average of 14 times a week for about five years.

The study is the first to compare sperm from cannabis users with that from men with confirmed fertility by looking at specific swimming behaviour.

Dr Burkman said: "The active ingredients in marijuana are doing something to sperm." She added it was unclear how cannabis upset the sperm's swimming programme.

It was possible that the active ingredient in cannabis known as THC stimulated sperm cells to disturb their timing. Alternatively, the drug might be affecting natural inhibitory mechanisms.

No wonder the offspring of the Baby Boomers and suriviors of the 70's spawn alot of idiots.......or is this an excuse for the X-generation?

Besides....they don't have 30 yr old sperm to check it with

That's for the info.........30 years too late

My Boats:
    tropical Cleveland OH
    great news I hate wearing rubbers anyways

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    I guess the sperm are like kids on X. They get all charged up and then can't do anything with the equipment
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association