o/t Credit Report help ASAP >

o/t Credit Report help ASAP

Notices

o/t Credit Report help ASAP

Old 10-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry o/t Credit Report help ASAP

Ok let me make a long story as short as I can. When I was younger my dad had a Discover card and he signed me on as an authorized user. Now he has a balance of 2K on the card and the collection agency is calling me trying to collect. I am only on the card as a user but not the general card holder or anything like that so I cannot be held liable as far as I know. I never used the card, etc. Now the collection agency has put this on my credit report and I'm pissed. From what I was told they could not do that unless I'm the card holder, it's like they can't get my dad to pay so they come after me. I'm kinda lost as to what to do...heck I feel like suing or something I have real good credit, or at least I did.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

Demand that they produce an application with your signature. If there is one than your Dad forged it, if not tell them the next phone call is from your Attorney. This is very common and I see it all day. Just make them prove their accusation.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really feel for you---I had this happen to me with an EX-Girlfriend (OSO member !!!)
Talk to your dad and find out why he's not making the payments. I'm pretty sure that if you are a "cardholder" or "user", then you can be held liable. Best thing is to pay it, or help you dad pay it and get it removed off your credit report. Good luck!!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not so,

If you did not sign the application, which is the credit contract, then you can not be held liable. You need to get with Discover and see what if anything you signed.

Credit Cards have the ability to have an authorized signor that is not liable, this is very common with corporate cards.

Long and short if you signed the credit agreement you will have a tough time not being held liable. If you didn't then you can have it removed by filing a qualified written request with each of the credit bureau companies. Also you should send a written notice to Discover that they are incorrectly reporting this information.

It will take time and be frustrating because they have to investigate it, well just trust me you will have to be persistant.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

I have the numbers for the three credit companys. If you ask them they will send a dispute package to make this formal. If Discover does not reply in 30 days it is removed. I think a call to Discover will work best. None of these things happen over night so be prepared. Tell Discover that you are not guilty until proven inocent.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Registered

good idea guys. I had this one collection agency calling me and I did as you guys had mentioned and told her to check the records to see if I signed anything, which I didn't, heck I was a minor at the time. My dad is not paying because he's disputing the charges so I guess in the meantime they are trying to get me to fork up the $$. Now this is a new collection agency and they have just put it right on my credit report. I'm going to call the agency and Discover and find out what the heck the deal is. I've never had bad credit...I guess it's ruined now.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it isn't ruined, first you have the ability to add a statement to your credit report explaining the situation.

Second, you can dispute the charge and it has to be reported on your credit report as being "in Dispute"

Third if you are in the right, you can have it removed like it was never there.

All collection laws are slanted toward consumers, you just need to go through the steps.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went through a similar situation with my daughter.
She put me and the wife on as being allowed to use her card. According to the credit card company that makes us liable for the balance if she can't pay. Just like a co-signer, even though we didn't sign the application.
The only way out is if your dad writes the card company a letter asking them to remove you from the account. If the account is behind in payment, delinquent, they probably won't remove you untill it's up to date. I which case your dad will have to state in the letter that he assumes all responsibilty for the account.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

If you are an authorized user you are not financially liable. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I would have the company that put it on my credit report do the investigation for a written application or an audio authorization and of course they did not have one. You request a letter from the company to all three bureaus Equifax, Trans Union and Experian. Each handle a different territory of the United States. The letter should include your name and address and a section that states to have this item deleted from your credit file. You also want them to send you a letter that it will be removed they filed erroneous. This does not mean it is over. Mine was sold 7 times to different companies and every couple of years I had to go through this. Fortunately it has not re-appeared in the last several years. Good luck to you.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Registered

ok you lost me there...I request a letter from the collection agency to be sent to Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian?

Quick Reply: o/t Credit Report help ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.