Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O/T HID headlight citation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/61632-o-t-hid-headlight-citation.html)

robyw1 10-17-2003 11:09 AM

O/T HID headlight citation

My girlfriend drives an FX-45. We were pulled over last night by Harris County Constable because our headlights were “Purple.” Okay yes they are HID headlights and were factory equipped on the vehicle. She got a ticket for an equipment violation. Now what the hell you do to prove that they are not illegal. I have also installed aftermarket HID’s in my Supra and Intrepid but have never been pulled over. Has anyone ever had this happen? Please weigh in.

Roby

GregP 10-17-2003 11:23 AM

Take the ticket to your dealer and ask them for your money back for selling you an illegal car <EWG>. That should inspire them to provide you all the backup info you could need.

-Greg

Clay Washington 10-17-2003 11:44 AM

Originally posted by GregP
Take the ticket to your dealer and ask them for your money back for selling you an illegal car <EWG>. That should inspire them to provide you all the backup info you could need.

-Greg

Great answer! :D

Ron P 10-17-2003 11:46 AM

Look up the law that you broke. It should be written on the ticket.

I got a ticket once for driving with my factory installed fog lights on.

Bring the factory window sticker to court with you. If your dealer cares, he should go with you.

I'd also contact the local department of transportation to see if HID lights are legal or not.

Sounds like you got a cop with a bug up his butt. Probably the Krispy Kreme was out of his favorite donuts.

This is an issue for >>>> TROUTLY!!!!

robyw1 10-17-2003 11:54 AM

But how many cars have HID headlights? A lot!

All new BMW, Mercedes, Acuras, Infinities, Lexus. I shouldn't be bothered with this crap. Pretty soon all new cars will have HID headlights and what are they goin to do then? Write all of us tickets.

Yes I agree, Troutly come in

Roby

Dredgeking 10-17-2003 12:08 PM

my mercedes has them. i always wonder if the cops will mistake me for a boy racer punk kid and pull me over. i expect that they will realize it's a mercedes (not a ricer racer) and i'm not a punk kid (young professional) and don't bother me. if not, then lord help them.

Cord 10-17-2003 12:11 PM

Don't pay the ticket. Enter a plea of "not guilty". Request a bench trial. Let them PROOVE that you have aftermarket head lights. THEY CAN'T! Case dismissed.

The other technique would be to call the da and explain that you have oe headlights.

McGary911 10-17-2003 12:14 PM

If its sold as original equipment, that means the DOT and the NHTSA have ok'd them on a federal level. You shouldnt have been written this ticket. Only problem is your judge may be just as dull as the cop, and not as bright as your lights. Hope you can beat it. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.

robyw1 10-17-2003 12:22 PM

I guess the real problem is: how often is this going to happen? I don't want to go and fight every ticket I get. Yes it did come as OEM on the car (2004 Infinity FX-45) I was just wondering if any of you guys that have them were ever pulled over or ticketed for this. Like I said I do have the aftermarket HIDs (real HID not colored bulbs) on my other 2 cars and have never been stopped.

Roby

Ron P 10-17-2003 12:34 PM

The cop just wanted to check out the new wheels.

I guess Troutly is on patrol...around the donut shop.