Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   El Boss (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/62012-el-boss.html)

T2x 10-29-2003 02:39 PM

Re: I have a question.....

Originally posted by Shane
How did Shadow/Shadow Cat, Conquest, Challenger etc get their names?
Exxon paid for a marketing survey, that I read which concluded that the best names for a company.......have two syllables, do not limit the product, do not contain letters or initials, and convey a positive image........ so

Shadow...... I named after the radio character.... "The Shadow"

Shadow Cat.......... ummm...errr...added Cat to the name?

Conquest......... Conquest had a nice ring to it and fit the Exxon parameters.... Coincidently Ken Adams owned Quest racing....but it was named before we even contacted Kenny

Challenger........ was named after George Linder's previous race boats...... one of which was a Carlson, the model name of which was the Challenger.

T2x

Miller 10-29-2003 08:33 PM

How did you get hooked up with Kenny? Why did you choose wood as the hull material instead of fiberglass, kevlar, aluminum, etc? What hull materials do you believe are best for the speeds that today's boats are achieving?

Ron P 10-29-2003 09:23 PM

Probably because he built canoes out of wood and habits are hard to break.:)

sean stinson 10-30-2003 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i dont know if it was mentioned earlier so if I repeat someones post forgive me....

I know exactly where the El Boss/American Dream is sitting as of a couple of months ago and would be willing to bet that it is still there and could probably be bought....Don't know any details everytime I even began to ask I was told the price being asked they're out of their mind.

Anyhow this is pre El Boss with Willie attending "The Saccenti Offshore Racing Academy" from here the rest is history.

sean stinson 10-30-2003 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Cigarette

sean stinson 10-30-2003 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Shadow Cat

sean stinson 10-30-2003 01:04 AM

Now I have a question for T2x......Do you remember sending a 30 Shadow Cat to the Great Lakes / Twin Cities Area that ran twin V-8 Evinrude Outboards. Was worked on by Fat Mikey from Godspeed Marine????

Hauling Trash 10-30-2003 06:07 AM

So Sean

Where`s the Boat ???????

MIke

TURB02256 10-30-2003 07:10 AM

Re: El Boss Apache 33' Race Boat...

Originally posted by Ed
Was rigged by Bobby Saccenti & used for a very short time. It was derigged completely and sold. They were a narrow beam, tall-sided sportdeck model that had an extremely high deadrise entry forward that "hunted" or bow-steered excessively. Dangerous at speed. This same boat was built as a center-console(not to be confused with the wide-beam(9' 6") center-console that Bobby built) as sterndrive models. By the way, Bobby sold the wide-beam center-console Apache molds to Joe Clawges who owns Sundance Marine in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. & built one triple Mercury outboard boat that took over 2 years to sell, despite showcasing it center-stage at his marina. Approximately 6-8 of the narrow beam fish boats were built, total. The molds were never used again. Most of the center console boats mysteriously disappeared. Don't know why. Hope this adds to your "Go-Fast History" data banks. Ed;)
Any more info on this boat? Bobby told me it had no handling problems and would do over 90 with big power as delivered to Willie others ended running up over 100 with no issues. It has an 8' beam and was built from a Squadron X mold.

Sean 10-30-2003 08:13 AM

Sean,

Scorpio's is a Mirage...no?