Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   El Boss (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/62012-el-boss.html)

Philip 10-22-2003 11:16 PM

Hi Miller

Hi Miller, I have been right here on OSO. lurking mostly, always enjoying the show. The tragedy that took our dear friend Dennis Cavanaugh is still very fresh in my mind. Kim and I are doing fine, thank you for asking. Got to do some boating this summer, T2x and I got together a few weekends. I had some engine trouble in the middle of Aug. hopefully it will get fixed soon. I try to follow any thread that T2x contributes to, I stood up and took notice when I saw George Linder and Darren both on this thread. Lets try to keep GJL posting, I hope we can keep him interested. T2x and George always made a great team.

Robert, I think you are right, in either 83 or 84 there was a major snag at the Airport after the last race, and most people flying out got stuck, most had to rent a car to get to Miami and another flight, but I think that was about an airline ceasing operations without any warning. either Peoples or Braniff, When the DEA tried to put an end to the fun at the worlds I don't think it closed the Airport. The event I am refering to was maybe 85 or so. When the DEA got through there weren't many boats left racing. I think Stan was there. I think T2x was also there.Most of the guys that I know were there are not able to post to this or any other thread.

Philip

T2x 10-23-2003 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Popeyes
Jerrry and Willie ran Love it Again. Both good friends of mine. Jerry is getting ready to "graduate" Fast boats and fast times. NO o/b ever outran "el Boss" unless it was broke or sittin on a trailer. "el Boss did out run the open fleet in Ft. Lauderdale in the early eighties. I know because I was in one of them.

Stan

Popeyes O.R.T.

Hi Stan:

I beg to differ...The outboard "Shadow Cat" outran the El Boss Cigarette on not one, but two occasions. The first in the Holiday Isles race at Fort Lauderdale...the second at the World's the same year...... "Shadow Cat"
was fast qualifier in the prelims but we broke in the final...

That Shadow with T-4's ran in the mid 90's...the Sport vees, including El Boss ran in the low 80's.

You ought to remember the T-4's...Al Copeland ran them the following year with Billy Sirois on the triple Outboard Maelstrom Open Cat....at Detroit.

T2x......AKA Rich Luhrs

T2x 10-23-2003 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Robert Geoghegan
First off, I love threads like this! First hand information from the designers, builders and racers.
My only question is where did Shadow (Image Boats) go? With hulls designs years ahead of any competition, and successful raceboats dominating the circut, what happened? Shadow seemed to disappear as quickly as they came out?
Thanks for your response!
Bob G.

Hi Bob:

The story is embedded in the "Great moments in Cat history" thread........ Basically, we (Shadow/Image)had a partnership split that ended in a lawsuit.... The result George was able to take the designs to Chris Craft, I got some money, I burned the 36' Shadow Cat plug, Elbie took the molds and partnered up with various souls who never figured out how to build aanother Shadow correctly...or on time...and we (George, Ken Adams and I) started Conquest Marine, for the express purpose of building custom one-off wood fibreglass composite hulls (i.e. Rolling Thunder...Jesse James) immediately after.

T2x

T2x

wannabe 10-23-2003 08:23 AM

Wow

T2X, George Linder and others on the same thread.

Keep it coming!!

Wannabe

BLee 10-23-2003 08:27 AM

Originally posted by T2x

I burned the 36' Shadow Cat plug,

T2x

T2x

Why did you do that?

BROWNIE 10-23-2003 08:46 AM

I personally considered your burning of the 36' Shadow cat plug your most intelligent offshore move!

AB

Fast Shafts 10-23-2003 08:53 AM

T2X,
Thanks for the reply, it's always better to hear it from the horse's mouth.
Bob G.

Ron P 10-23-2003 09:48 AM

Greatest Cat thread

Just in case you missed it the first time around.

T2x 10-23-2003 09:54 AM

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
Why did you do that?
Because I used to have quite a temper.......... Now, I'm the loveable T2x.

T2x

T2x 10-23-2003 09:58 AM

Originally posted by BROWNIE
I personally considered your burning of the 36' Shadow cat plug your most intelligent offshore move!

AB

Which translated means..... "he did a lot of dumb things....but THAT was really dumb."

Brownie: From your stand point....It was a great move... think of all the aluminum Cougars you got to sell as a result....don't even mention the boost it gave to Peter Hledin....... I think you both should send me a check
:p :p

T2x