Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Possible Relocation to Knoxville, TN (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/63213-ot-possible-relocation-knoxville-tn.html)

mcollinstn 11-08-2003 01:58 AM

Hendersonville is 15 miles from dead center of Nashville.

You'd be coming in I-40 and you will pass just South of Gallatin on the way to Nashville. I am pretty much halfway between Gallatin and Nashville.

The weekend you are coming is the weekend of a large Christmas event where lots of vendors sell Christmas items. My wife and her Mom have a booth there this year and will be there from Thurs thru Sunday, so it is just me and the kids for that weekend - unless...
I also lost a friend this week, and his memorial service is loosely scheduled for next weekend but there is not a target date or time yet (it's in Atlanta). Not sure if I will be available when you come thru or not, but my cell is

615/260-5548

Feel free to give me a holler when you come thru. I know you will be on "a mission" and won't have a lot of spare time. BUT you pretty much gotta eat and drink at some point. If I'm not in Atlanta, me and the kids can meet you for grub.

If you already know the proposed location of the new facility, I can help you target living areas that meet your needs. There's everything from modest to $200/square foot neighborhoods with virtual palaces. There are also areas where you can still buy 100 acres for less than $400,000 if that's your bag (and no, they are not in the boondocks - if boondocks is what you want, it is a lot cheaper).

m

voodoo 12-01-2003 10:26 AM

OK, I may need to make my final decision on this move my tomorrow, I know there is no state income tax and the property taxes seem low, any hidden Tennessee taxes/fees/registrations that I should know about. For instance, in certain states there is a tax called "personal property tax" that you have to pay on cars, boats, RV's ect. I couldn't find any info on this anywhere on the web for Tennessee but I thought I'd check.

Clay Washington 12-01-2003 10:55 AM

The nicest lake near Knoxville is Norris lake.

duunoit 12-01-2003 02:58 PM

nope

No personal property tax. Sales tax is 9.25%. I'll agree with Clay about Norris. It is definitely a nicer lake, but it takes me 45 minutes to get there (from west Knoxville).

voodoo 12-01-2003 03:44 PM

Thanks guys, it looks as if I'm going to accept the offer. Duunoit we'll have to hook up when I get down there. Man is my life about to change!!!!!!

duunoit 12-01-2003 03:49 PM

Sure thing. When do you think you will be moving? If there's anything I can do to help you out, yell at me.

Chris
(865)386-4918

mcollinstn 12-01-2003 07:23 PM

Tennessee Hall Income Taxes. 6% on all non-bank related interest and dividend income. If you generate any significant income by lending money and charging interest, you will either need to loan on 6 month or shorter terms OR construct the notes as "demand notes" else they will be subject to Hall Taxes.

State sales tax on nonfood items is 9.25%. Food items are 8.25%. Vehicle sales tax is 7.5% plus about $40.

City and county property taxes are reasonable in most locations, but not all. Public school quality varies significantly if that is an issue to you.

Tennessee does not mimic the Federal Inheritance tax exclusion levels (like many other states) and your Wills may need to be tweaked accordingly.

No personal property tax, but all business assets DO have a tax on them. If you have a business in TN, expect the state to do periodic audits on declared personal property values (no biggie, just keep your depreciation schedules up to date).

m

voodoo 12-01-2003 08:45 PM

Thanks guys, are private sales taxed such as used cars and boats? Also, what do vehicle tags cost?

Reddog 12-01-2003 09:31 PM

Car and boat sales are taxed at the local sales tax rate - high at 9.25% but that is it. Tags / registration are low for cars and boats - don't recall exactly but say around $ 30 per year.

I live south of the river, 2 miles from downtown but outside the city limits - low property taxes and low property values. Schools, well none are really good unless you stay involved and encourage your kids to get into the AP programs.

I love boating on Ft Loudon - the closer you get to downtown the less traffic you have. Navigable waters end about 10 miles upstream from downtown. 40 to 45 miles from downtown to the dam. Lock through and go to the Gulf of Mex if you want. Someone mentioned a lot of no wake zones - not sure where he has been because they are few and far between.

Contact me direct at [email protected] it you need more info or to get phone number to talk.

mcollinstn 12-01-2003 10:16 PM

Sumner County car tags are $73.25 (or a buck one way or the other).

Boats, cars, other motor vehicles are taxed as follows:

The ENTIRE purchase price is taxed at the STATE RATE of 7%. The first $1,600 of the purchase price is ALSO taxed at the appropriate LOCAL RATE (usually 2.25%). The next amount over $1,600 but less than $3,200 is taxed at a UNIFORM RATE of 2.75%. The remainder of the purchase price over $3,200 has only the STATE tax and no additional LOCAL or uniform tax due to the "single-article cap" at $3,200.

Clear as Mud ???