Notices

Hyper.. THINK ABOUT IT

Old 11-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a firefighter and auto extrication tech for over 10 years. I have seen many aweful things happen. Keep racing to teh race course! Just last night my best friends brother and cousin were in an accident. Not going to fast either. They hit a deer and his cousin died and brother is in serious condition.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Registered

You still get to Drag Race it's just 40 people out there and you get to see who has the guts to stay on the gas the longest before you brake for turn one.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
Get into bike racing Hyper, slow guys on nice bikes are still slow, fast guys on all most any race bike are still fast. You don't have to have a ton of cash to race and win on bikes although it helps. Bike's are cheaper than cars to race. Let me know if you need any help with getting a bike or setting one up. How big are you ?
I dont think I have the self control to see 18 if I owned a bike. I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to buy a bike when he buys one, knowing us, we would get used to doing 120+ all the time.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

Shane, sorry to hear about your friends. I, like troutly and you, have seen more than my fair share of accidents with severe injuries and deaths. Unfortunately, this will continue as too many people just dont think when they drive. It does not matter if they are goin fast or slow. Racing should stay on a controlled track. It does not mean that it is by any means safe, but you do not have to worry about the uncontrollable variable of other people pulling out in front of you like on the street. Plus there are safety people already on standby if something does go wrong. So, everybody, be safe out there.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered

Don't ride it on the street just the track.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
Don't ride it on the street just the track.
I dont have the self control.

Shane, sorry to hear that. Deer always pop up in the wrong places. I truly believe those deer whisles on the front of a car do work.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Registered

In 17 years of being a paramedic I have acquired a large photo album of memories of kids that have died senselessly. I only wish I could some how transfer the photos in my memory to every fast driving kid in the world. My prayers go out to the families.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Registered

Tommy your missing the point of the RACE BIKE. The first thing you do is take all the stock bodywork off, lights,mirrors,fan horn, and all the other street stuff. Put on race bodywork, tire's,steering damper and other race stuff. It will not be street legal at all, instant cop magnet if you run it on the street. It will be just for the track like your boat is just for the water. Plus at the track they wont let you go out in shorts and t-shirt so you will always be dressed for the worst. Witch is how I have never had road rash in all the crashes I have had.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad story. I don't really see how he lost control on that road, but I guess the point is that he and another are dead.

Hyper,
I've been racing for years. I'd highly suggest you take a serious look at cart racing. Most of todays best racers all started in carts. They are cheap to buy or rent, competition is very tight, and THEY ARE FUN!!! Try carts first, you love them. Despite how childish they look, adults even get hooked on them. Bang for the buck you cant beat carts. I still try to get into a cart any chance I get. After a little seat time, look into taking a professional racing class. I've taken many and I'd highly recommend Skip Barber's Pro series racing class. This is a real class act. Not only do do get great instruction in a verity of cars (formula cars are the cats ass!), but you also get your license upon completion. It's not cheap, but you cant put a price on what you'll gain from this class. After you've had some good instruction join a club of some type at your local road racing track. You'll move up through the ranks with seat time. Contact the track and get a copy of their schedule for next season. See what clubs have the most track days and see about joining them. Many of these clubs have some type of "taste of the track" program that places potential new drivers in a car with an instructor for a few laps. I've never had a newbee in the car that didn't get hooked after I had them on the track. I've found PCA (Porsche Club of America) has about the best program for grooming racers and getting track time. They offer "Drivers Ed" events at most tracks thoughout the year. They also have a Club Racing program that's top notch. Like I said , may organizations offer similar evens (BWM, SCCA, NASA...) and the key to becoming a great road racer is instruction, seat time, and more seat time. I cant stress enough how valuable these two things are to becoming a great driver. When I was younger I was always racing around on the streets. After my first day of instructed driving at Lime Rock Park I realized how stupid racing on the street is. Not only is it dangerous, but until you get on one of these road racing tracks you'll have no idea how far you can truly and safely test the limits of yourself and your car. The limits are so much higher on a track than you would ever think possible. The best tracks not only offer a verity of turns , but also elevation changes. I've driven dozens on tracks and Watkins Glen is my favorite for these reasons.

BTW, you'll quickly find that the fastest street cars are no match for a POS track car. A $200,000 Ferrari fresh off the showroom floor cant come close to keeping up with $12,000 944 turbo setup for road racing! I see guys in Neon track cars lapping basically stock Corvettes all the time. I always get a kick out of the newbees at these clubs that show up with there big dollar street cars. It's so funny to see them turning times at the end of the day that are FAR slower then the veteran drivers driving little four cylinder cars.

Now go jump in a cart! You'll love it.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:59 PM
MavFlyBy

I'd like to eventually get a Corvette or similar and run on the track. I got out of street racing because the risk isn't worth it, my g/f nagged at me about it, and the general car theme today is screwed up in my mind. I got tired of 4 door Acuras with chrome rims doing 120mph down the main street in town. I still average 10 over when I'm normally driving and more than that on the freeway, but I don't do anything extreme. I like fast boats now anyways. I'll definetely break at least 150 on water and 200MPH if I can ever afford a Callan boat.

Quick Reply: Hyper.. THINK ABOUT IT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.