Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Franchises. Any good ones? >

Franchises. Any good ones?

Notices

Franchises. Any good ones?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
mirageman

Quizno's is hot right now. about 250K to start.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local Starbucks in my neighborhood is a franchise and the guy who owns it also owns 3 others within a few blocks. I know of at least one other and I read something about the business they do in the paper (I think it was in the Wall Street Journal but may have been Crain's, Barrons or something like that instead). The numbers seemed impressive and the margins are large.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
djm
Registered

Default home vesters

Not your typical franchise but looked interesting to me. Their motto is we buy ugly houses. Your basically paying home vesters for a mortgage that normal banks would never approve. The idea is to fix and flip the house, give them some of the profit and pocket the rest.

I think people who profited from recent real estate booms could buy an ugly house outright and do this without home vesters, although their national presence helps. I'm not sure how profitable it could be but it sounds great for someone who is relatively low on cash and high on handyman skills.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Baja Ma

CURVES, 30 Minute Workout For Women. Great program, with great results. Have a friend that has just opened her fourth club. Franchise cost is about$20,000 per club. Includes equipment. She has over 700 members at the club she opened last November. She opened her fourth this past week and had over 100 women sign up this week. Placing them in small strip shopping centers. I think their web site is www.curves.com.
They are headquartered in Texas.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

Quiznos is nasty... I tried their subs once.. it was gross and freakin EXPENSIVE!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife used to go to a Curves, when one first opened near us. Within a month, there had to be a dozen of them within a 15 minute drive. Those things are multiplying like cockroaches around here.
They also have "Cuts" too...same thing, but for guys.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Registered

One thing i've noticed with dollar stores, is that you can never raise your prices. When everyone else raises prices in response to the economy, your only option is to get crappier stuff.....and lots of that stuff is on the bottom end of crappy to start with. Except for the pizza cutter!.

Guess thats why some of them are 99c and more stores now.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

For someone with money to burn and just looking for something to do I guess $250K to invest in a new job is no big thing. But for me that is a lot of coin! It seems that the tried and true franchises are outragously expensive to get into. Unless you have lots of cash to start with or someone that will float you a low interest loan indefinitely it seems like a huge risk to only make 80 to 100 thousand a year, if that is even possible. The fitness clubs sound like a good deal. Low investment/High return. The Dollar stores seem to be everywhere and more are going in everyday. There is bound to be some fallout there. Seems like a high risk to me. I still like the idea of a pack & ship store if the startup costs are reasonable and the location is right. I am not looking for anything like a Bike dealership or anything like that. Just something that could provide a modest income and have some resale value down the road in a few years.

The search continues. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

does the crazy horse franchise?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Not a malibu a Barefoot Nautique w/ a 454 cid. Look to see a bright yellow 28 Joker tow boat next spring. BH