Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I gave it up today & retired!! >

I gave it up today & retired!!

Notices

I gave it up today & retired!!

Old 11-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on something well earned and deserved. I am self employed, cabinetry and fine carpentry businesiness, and while I enjoy working for myself, collecting final payments from wealthy clients is a friggin nightmare. I'd rather be a "hitman".
Old 11-22-2003, 08:09 AM
BK
Registered

Blown Formula wrote: Truly a sad day to see an American icon such as AT&T go to the dogs.
You've just described our entire economy. Mass production American goods having to compete globally against cheaper labor and low standards, while sales figures fall and business insurance skyrockets. This means less benefits for the employees, plant closures, faltering customer service, and constant staff downsizing. Today, one person does the work that used to be done by three.

While the prices of the products drop to match the global demand, this also results in lower quality US goods.

There are a few American companies that still maintain the high standards that America was known for, but the price also reflects the expense. And we all know that, when given the option, most most Americans will opt to buy the lesser expensive of the products.

That's why our government is doing very little in attempting to stop the flow of illegal immigrants - US companies are starving for the cheap labor that competitors can find in third world countries. That is also the reason behind recent legislation offering benefits to US companies who relocate "offshore" to relieve themselves of the tough US employee labor standards, high taxes and strict business laws.

But a country can't survive if the government caters only to helping Big Business. The average American employee must be a focus too. That's why they were having riots in Florida last week.

BUT CONGRATS TO YOU! Enjoy that lake house.
33 years is a long time to hang in there......
You've earned it!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Registered

congrats my friend.. that must be nice.. now they will want to hire you back and pay you double as a private contractor.. and do the same job..

once again congrats
Old 11-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Registered

Congrats BF, I can not wait for the day I can move to the lake.

I was telling my father-in-law about 2 years ago I was ready to retire. He proceeded to tell me that in order to retire I needed at least 1 million saved up. I then looked at him & said I only have 1.5 to go.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Well I hope you enjoy your retirement, 33yrs is a long time with one company, Good Luck!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Congratulations George! I am sure you are going to have no problem spending more time at that BEAUTIFUL lake house of yours.
We will see you next year at the Poker Run!!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the kind words.... I now have that "load" off my chest and my attitude is to only look FORWARD. I am now starting my own business at the lake & it is non-communications related.

I know I will enjoy myself ....(the wife is continuing to work!!) I can fish or boat anytime I wish
and now I can finish Too Old's Sonic!! My engines are done & I pick them up Sunday to dress them out myself.
Gee, I have nothing but time now- huh.... more time than money maybe?? I am sure the wife will have plans a a lot of the time though!

Thanks Guys & Gals
Old 11-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Sweet deal!

Love the fact you're going into business in your 'retirement', should be very rewarding.

B
Old 11-22-2003, 04:49 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Good luck and enjoy your retirement!!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh, even my new business is boar related. No where is there good & secure boat or RV storage around this lake. All of the storage places have gravel floors, no electricity and pests run wild thru them. I am building storage with concrete floors, each space alarmed, individual code access to each space and main entry and electricity to all. I may even put in a car/boat wash for my customers. Roll up doors insted of swinging doors also. I hope this works

Quick Reply: I gave it up today & retired!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.