Notices

Boat Documintation

Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boat Documintation

Just got my COD from the USCG...They say I need to affix the official number so that its clearly visable in the interior structural part of the hull. So if its removed, altered in any way their will be a visable mark. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN...What is the method preferred by others. I don`t want to go painting a # on the inside of my boat. It states "The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration,removal,or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area"
Old 11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Registered

mine is painted on inside the engine compartment on the port side. I'll take a pic maybe tomorrow and post it for ya. How long did it take you to get it? i'm still waiting for mine , it's been 2 months.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I did in the engine compartment. Stuck on the numbers, taped and masked a perimeter around them. Spray painted in black, then cleared it in resin. Peeled off the numbers, it is now there forever.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:46 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Put it in the engine compartment on the side of a stringer or on the bulkhead. A lot of people use those stick on numbers or have the set vinyl cut. They then coat over it with some type of clear.
You go girl. Trout's got it.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by cig1988
Thats what I did in the engine compartment. Stuck on the numbers, taped and masked a perimeter around them. Spray painted in black, then cleared it in resin. Peeled off the numbers, it is now there forever.
Good idea. I did the exact opposite. Got some stencils from the local art store. Taped my numbers together. Then taped the string of numbers to the bulkhead in the engine compartment. Then painted over the stencil. Removed the stencil and then clear coated the area.

Remember to include NO in front of your numbers.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:19 AM
BK
Registered

These are the same instructions the CG gives for manufacturers to permanently affix the HULL ID NUMBERS. Back around 1994 or 1995, they required HIN numbers to be affixed on the transom *and* at least one other "hidden" interior spot that will not be divulged to the general public.

This is to aid in theft recovery.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:29 AM
BK
Registered

http://www.daviscoltd.com/nams/Documents/bsc70.htm

Here are the manufacturer instructions for the duplicate HIN number:

US Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety
Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division
Boating Safety Circular # 70
Permanency

Each Hull Identification Number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identification number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.

The words "otherwise permanently affixed" and "in such a way that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and evident" are subject to interpretation by the courts. The Coast Guard considers these words to mean that ordinary and reasonable methods must be used which will allow the HIN to remain intact and legible for the useful life of the boat and in a way that would discourage anyone but a skilled boat thief from altering or removing the number.

Our present policy is to accept any reasonable means of affixing a number until such time as its performance indicates that it is not permanent.

PROBLEMS IN THE FIELD

Methods of affixing Hull Identification Numbers which have been found to be unacceptable are:

Use of common embossed plastic marker tape, either stuck on the hull or riveted.
Use of metal plates riveted to the hull. The rivets can be drilled out and a new plate riveted in its place. The metal plate should be fastened by some additional means such as with an epoxy.
Use of individual characters so that individual characters can be removed and replaced.
Use of only screws or bolts to attach a plate. Again, the plate should be fastened by some additional means such as with an epoxy.

The Duplicate Hull Identification Number must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware. Many builders believe that this implies a requirement for a hidden location for the second HIN.

Last edited by BK; 11-22-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

you can go down to a custom fab place and get a number engraved into a plack and mount it somewhere visible in the engine compartment..
Old 11-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

have them make it out of stainless or alum chunk of steel and just engrave the number on it..
Old 11-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

because stainless is painless.. LOL

Quick Reply: Boat Documintation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.