Notices

pantera survivor

Old 11-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once something sinks and it's owner is unable to properly handle it the rights to it are given up to any salvager who gets to it first. It a sad deal that this guy was more worried about the boat than the people, but he probably knows the laws better than most and probably can still get possession of the boat since he was the first person to actually begin salvage operations, and was physically forced to stop when he had the right of way. There are a lot of strange maritime laws about this sort of situation. I'm sure there are some lawyers on here that have studied offshore law.

I hope everyone is ok.

Ernie
Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my family sends out prayers to the pantera family, at this time iwould like to thank everyone who has posted updates as we are all friends of the pantera family,i also went by the factory today monday and it was closed if anyone has any info on the hospital please e-mail [email protected] i would gladly appreciate it thanksyou again......

andy,
Old 11-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

The Hospital in Key West, it is the only one from what I understand. Spoke to Jo late last night, he has a fractured back but is doing ok otherwise. The rest of the family is headed back down to Key West to stay with Pepe. They are a little questionable of the quality of the hospital. If there are doctors on the board that can offer their opinion if we give them the info please contact OSO headquarters.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:07 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please let us know the condition of Pepe as I was told last night that he had taken a turn for the worse.....can someone confirm this.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Sean & Terra
Old 11-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Glad to hear the Pantera guys are OK

Ive heard numerous stories about these "salvage guys" .....from my understandings they can claim almost what ever pirice they want on the salvage opperation......most times they will make the cost a % of the cost of the vessel and then the insurance will just pay them a % of that bill.....its realy a screwed up deal!
Theres a story i read about a guy beaching his almost new cruiser on a sand bar.....calls for help and they respond they are on the way.....in the mean time the tide goes up a bit and he's able to free himself off the bar under his own power and starts heading home but he adoes have powertrain damage and has a hard time manuvering around.......the salvage guy shows up and the guy says he doeasnt want his help....the guy says ok but let me just tow you into the harbor then "for your saftey".........after the ordeal he learns the "salvage guy" submitts a bill for over $100K!!! to the ins co and they go ahead and pay somehting like 30% of it without even an investigation solely on this guys word!!!! unreal!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

My prayers are with the family
Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear. I wish Joe and Pepe the very best!

What a strange twist of events...sheesh...

Once a boat is in peril or in danger of being in peril, the salvor has rights to it and can charge a substantial fee for its salvage. This is old school maritime law and it still stands today.

However, in this situation, a salvage company(Boat-U.S.) was already under contract and nearing position to salvage the vessel. The pirate has no rights.

Hope they get the sunnuvabitsh
Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

Default Steve

If at all possible, please keep us up to date on the condition of Jo and Pepe.

thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally posted by TopSpin80
Once something sinks and it's owner is unable to properly handle it the rights to it are given up to any salvager who gets to it first. It a sad deal that this guy was more worried about the boat than the people, but he probably knows the laws better than most and probably can still get possession of the boat since he was the first person to actually begin salvage operations, and was physically forced to stop when he had the right of way. There are a lot of strange maritime laws about this sort of situation. I'm sure there are some lawyers on here that have studied offshore law.

I hope everyone is ok.

Ernie
Perhaps in this case he didn't have right of way since he was on a "hot" race course that is closed by the CG to all outside personel.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

So what was the cause of the wreck?

Quick Reply: pantera survivor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.