Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   pantera survivor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64552-pantera-survivor.html)

Thirsty Turtle 11-25-2003 03:38 PM

A horrible chain of events.

Our thoughts are with you Pepe, Linda, Jo, Barb, and everyone at the shop.

Bruce

Von Bongo 11-25-2003 07:16 PM

Originally posted by OffshoreOnly
Here is a picture of the POS Pirate connected to the Pantera along with the Coast Guard cutter who has just instructed him to release the boat.

The Captain of the Coast Guard was supposed to ride in the OSO Pace Boat during the secong race so we used this to our advantage to help get the Pirate to leave without paying a fee.

52-foot Motor Life Boat (MLB)

Crew: 5
Original Cost:$236,000(1962)
Length: 52 feet
Beam: 14 feet 6.5 inches
Draft: 6 feet Displacement: 32 tons
Engine: 2 170 hp GM 6 71
Speed: 11 knots
Range: 495 nm
Endurance: 12 hours For more information on the Coast Guard visit the Internet at http://www.uscg.mil. For recruiting information call 1-877-NOW-USCG.

General Information: Built in 1960 to replace wooden-hulled ships that carried the same names since the 1930's, these steel-hulled 52-foot motor life boats can withstand 100-mile an hour winds and sea swells up to 35 feet. These are the only Coast Guard vessels under 65 feet that have names. Motor lifeboats are the workhorses of rescue stations. Only four 52-footers are in service.

They are built to withstand the most severe conditions at sea and are capable of effecting a rescue at sea even under the most difficult circumstances. They are self-bailing, self-righting, almost unsinkable, and have a long cruising radius.

Missions: Search and rescue, maritime law enforcement, marine environmental protection, and recreational boating safety.
All of the Coast Guard's 52-foot Motor Life Boats are located in the 13th District at:

THEJOKER 11-25-2003 07:21 PM

Pepe' and Joe get well my friends. Glad you guy's are going to be ok! Brian Hollis

georges 11-25-2003 08:39 PM

Tim,
Just where is this pic from, because it definitely is NOT KW!
There are no high rises!
In any case, my wife and I just spoke with Jo a few minutes prior to the start of Sunday's race, he was so hyped, as usual.
They were going out to win this race, there was no doubt in their minds or ours that they were going to do it!
When they didn't make it back to the harbor turn on the first lap, we knew something was wrong, because we fully expected them to come thundering through the harbor turn right on Ettore's butt, as they took the green flag right on the starboard stern of the pace boat!
We cannot express in words how we feel for those guys.....and their families!
God bless you Jo and Pepe and may you recover real fast. We are all here for you.
Georges and Beverly

Iggy 11-26-2003 05:46 AM

Von Bongo,
the cutter you mentioned is not the one in the photos.
Here's the newest addition to their fleet.
It's all aluminum and totally watertight. Will withstand a 360 roll-over with little or no damage.

Damn pic won't post.
Use this link insted.....CG 47-MLB

ScottB 11-26-2003 07:21 AM

I talked to Jo and Pepe last night, both will be all right and in good spirits. Pepe will undergo an MRI today and hopefully will be getting out today or tomorrow. Pepe said he was hurting pretty good but he is a tough oldschool guy and has a good sense of humor about it.
No structural damage to the boat and as of 7pm last night they had one of the engines running again and were hoping to fire up the other.
Some glass damage to the back where the water pressure got under a naca duct and tore off some glass.
other than that, A broken gimble,a small tear in the upholstery, and a beat up skeg is the only damage.
Pepe and Joe said it was some painful R&D but were happy the boat held up so well.
Joey said the GPS was reading 92mph when they rolled and he was thrown about 120 ft.
They are both very lucky and will be back

BRUCE SEROFF 11-26-2003 08:35 AM

Good news.......

I guess the name " Survivor" really fits in this case.

MIAMIBOYZ 11-26-2003 08:41 AM

WHILE TALKING TO JO YESTERDAY,HE IS IN BED REST FOR THE TIME BEING.JO AND THE FAMILY ARE HOPING FOR PEPE`S RECOVERY COME QUICKLY SO THEY CAN HAVE HIM BACK HERE IN MIAMI FOR THANKSGIVING.
PLEASE REFRAME FROM ANY RUMOR UNTILL JO AND PEPE SPEAK FOR THEMSELFS.

ANGEL AND HIS WIFE GLORIA,ANGEL IS OSO
PANTERA24,I THANK YOU BOTH FOR BEING THERE
SUPPORTING LINDA,JO,PEPE AND BARB.YOU GUYS
ARE SPECIAL AND DESERVE ALL THE GOOD LIFE
HAS TO OFFER.

ALBERT

cigarette1 11-26-2003 10:05 AM

Originally posted by ScottB
Joey said the GPS was reading 92mph when they rolled and he was thrown about 120 ft.
They are both very lucky and will be back

Did this happen in a turn or on a straight?

Get well soon and best wishes :cool:

MIAMIBOYZ 11-26-2003 10:21 AM

JUST SPOKE TO THE FAMILY AND PEPE WILL BE KEPT
ONE MORE DAY FOR FURHTER OBSERVATION.LET JO
COMMENT ON THE 92 MPH THING WHEN HE IS ABLE TO
COMMENT ON WHAT HAPPENED.