Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   pantera survivor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64552-pantera-survivor.html)

sangercat 11-24-2003 04:23 PM

pantera survivor

what happened to pantera on sunday in keywest? heard they flipped

Tim G. 11-24-2003 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The boys did have a mishap and both found themselves in the water. But, they are OK.
I'm sure Jo or Pepe will post the story before too long.
The boat ran great in testing prior to the race.
The guys won wednesdays race in 6' seas.......

Tim G. 11-24-2003 04:46 PM

I haven't seen the boat, but I know they have it. It's not "unrecoverable".

glassdave 11-24-2003 05:11 PM

last i heard it made it back on the trailer. they spun out ahead of me an all i saw was a huge spray of water and by the time i got to that turn it was nose up. man i am so glad to hear they were alright. it was a very tense situation. good luck guys, hope the boat isnt to bad.

OffshoreOnly 11-24-2003 05:40 PM

The boat was actaully on the straight away right before turn 4 when the incident occured according to one of the spectators.

Pepe and Jo were rushed to the hospital and in their absence Treadwell, Angel, and the OSO Paceboat Staff assisted Tow Boat US in locating the boat after it sunk.

The boat was hooked up to by a local pirate while our backs were turned as we were attending to the injured. The pirate would not allow Tow Boat US to tend to it immediately as Tow Boat US was the contracted tow company for the event.

The Coast Guard instructed the pirate to release the boat to Tow Boat US and was in the process of arresting him when he conveniently slipped in to the water with his scube tank and vanished. We found out later he was a felon on probation for a sexual predator charge.

The boat was located, bagged, and lifted and rushed to Miami to have the motors pickeled.

Pepe is still in the hospital as he injested a lot of water in his lungs. Jo was released yesterday.

105mph_38_2003 11-24-2003 05:54 PM

So a guy attempted to steal the boat? How does that work and why would someone even attempt to hook up to someone elses boat in a race with tons of people? How can someone just disappear in the middle of the ocean?

School me because I am confused:confused:

duunoit 11-24-2003 06:26 PM

I believe there is some sort of high seas salvage law that says if you salvage it, it's yours... I hope Pepe gets better soon.

Chris

US1 Fountain 11-24-2003 07:11 PM

So as soon as it goes under, it's considered a free for all? That chit just doesn't make since.
I can see if a boat was down under for a couple of yrs, but damn, the motors were still hot. Also, if it was legal for the POS to make claim to it, how could the CG instruct him to release it?
I also would like to know the law as it pertains to this stuff. Seems like a cheap way to get a new boat.

My opinion, the CG guys have guns right? Should have used them!

Also hoping the best for the crew.

Steve 1 11-24-2003 08:30 PM

Pepe and Jo My Best Regards and I hope all is well for you.