If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    Stock Cat and Cummins marine diesels in normal "3000 hour between overhaul" tune run boost in the 30 to 40 psi range. STOCK.

Stock head bolts on these motors aren't the same as stock head bolts on a Chevy. Stock for these boogers are already HD premium rolled thread stuff. The aftermarket stuff we buy is pretty much standard fare for these hosses.

But, at tractor pulls I have seen many times extra long ARP-style studs sticking way out of the heads with spacers on them (the longer a fastener is, the more tension you can put on it without worrying about working impact load causing it to yield).

And I have heard mention of 300psi of boost on some "over the top" pulling motors. Of course, a single centrifugal turbine will NOT generate that kind of pressure, so they use 4 turbos in SERIES. And, yes, they stretch head bolts. And explode intake manifolds. And blow the sides out of the block. And if they break a rod at the wrong time, it can send the piston down and knock the crankshaft out of the bottom of the block. At that power level, you'd better hope you remember what you did to get it there, cause when it blows, there will be nothing to salvage. All that porting and polishing will be a doorstop.
    I see London, I see France...

My Boats:
    25' Checkmate Convincor, 19 Checkmate Convincor, 23 Crownline, a Sea Doo, a 12' sailboat, and two kayaks!!
    King george, Virginia/Potomac River
    Now that was cool..... I want one

Interesting facts mcollinstn

Diesels and turbos are WAY cool!! Just very expensive. My dad used to take me to tractor pulls when I was a kid and I always loved to hear those turbos spooling up. I remember asking what the flap with a cable attached was for and one of the drivers told me it the emergency shut off to the air intake because shutting off the fuel will not kill those motors at WOT at that power level. He said they will continue to run on the crankcase oil.

Spring, TX
    My truck runs a 11.42 0-60 and i think 18.80 Qtr according to the G-tech...Bone Stock with a dirty air filter

st. clair shores mi ,us
    [SIZE=4]Can you say CUMMINS !!!![/SIZE]

I wonder why that FORD guy didn't use the 7.3 or 6.0? OR why didn't he put a DMAX in it, it IS lighter than that little 6 banger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234