Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fist Fight on Key West Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64573-fist-fight-key-west-poker-run.html)

WARPARTY36 12-03-2003 04:49 PM

This is the first I have seen of this post or I would have commented earlier. Stu's number one priority is SAFETY!!!, I think everyone can agree on that from those of us that know him. This is the second run I have been on where the other party has driven like a JACKASS. The other party and I had a few choice words on the last run. In my opinion that is just his personality(right or wrong). The guy is a danger to himself, his crew, and everyone around them. Stu kicked him out of the club and it pissed him off. I do not believe the finger in the chest thing for a minute. Stu keep up the good work and don't change a thing. I thank God that we have someone like Stu that has dedicated his life to the sport that we all love. If it wasn't for the organization and discipline these outings would be a danger to the members and everyone that share our waterways. Yes, the skiffs fishing in the mangroves have just as much right to the waterways as we do. I know the money and horsepower go to our heads occasionally, but we do all put our pants on the same way. There are always people walking the docks at these events admiring the boats. They can't even imagine riding in our boats, much-less actually owning one. Just answering some of their questions(usually stupid questions) means so much to them it is not even funny. I think things like answering some of these questions or just saying HI to the people that are walking the docks like they are in a dream world would do a lot for the reputation of our sport. Sorry for the rant, but I saw some things that I did not like. I had a lengthy discussion with Stu on the matter and I did not touch on that much here, but I stand behind him 100%.

Jolley 12-03-2003 05:04 PM

Thank You Bubba, well stated ! Obviously there was a situation that warranted some 'extra' attention! This was not a boat race, but a get together in a tropical climate for enjoyment to ALL involved.

Ted G 12-03-2003 07:22 PM

I spoke with someone that was on the pace boat.

There is culpability on both sides, but Stu was right to get upset.

I think his emotions got the best of him and things just escalated to the point of violence.

It is a shame that things got to that point.

WARPARTY36 12-04-2003 10:11 AM

I totally agree. I do not doubt the other parties driving skills. He needs to make better decisions on how to use them. It is terrible for both parties involved, and I hope this never happens again. I am sure it will have a good resolve. Sorry for the rant yesterday, but if we want to build a better sport we need to be friendly to the spectators.

Joe 12-04-2003 03:53 PM

WARPARTY36,

That wasn't a rant. It was almost perfectly factual -- or, better said - 100% common sense.

In my opinion, Stu can be hot-headed, but he's hot-headed about something he's passionate about - SAFETY!!!! This guy was clearly being a J@ckass and show-boating. Let's face it, we all have ego's.... But come on - don't be obnoxious about it to the point it jeopardizes safety! Go show-off somewhere else. We're not impressed!!!!! What's impressive are the folks who respect, and are thankful for what they have. He might need a reminder of how quickly all can be taken away - before it's too late!