Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fist Fight on Key West Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64573-fist-fight-key-west-poker-run.html)

open87 11-25-2003 05:55 PM

hey joker- i'm with you , i belive that ego/i'm richer, i got the faster expensive toy mentality is all bull. don't impress me in the least. sure it would be nice to own a 46 skater but i live in real time in the real world and do not live above my means or try to be something i'm not. so with that being said, i am very grounded 28 cigarette open- single 540 trs drive and totally content. i would like to do a fpc run one day and know i would be the last one in the harbor and that's just fine by me :) :D

Steet 11-25-2003 05:59 PM

What's the story

I noticed that the first post asked a question, does anyone know the real story with Stu Jones.
The next to last post was the answer. I am curious.

But in light of all this, I believe from what I read, looks like a lot of people supporting Stu and very few against.
I have also looked at possibly attending one of his events. I am questioning my judgement now. I too, have seen the travel channel and could possibly understand his manners. One thing I will not tolerate from anyone, and I mean anyone, is pushing a finger in my chest and screaming. Plan on an old fashion "asswhopping" from a good old country boy.
That you can take to the bank

Jetboatkid 11-25-2003 08:52 PM

I just received an email that Stu also screamed at the people that own Sorcerer. I only met them once but they are the nicest people. They said Stu was very nasty. They said they accidentally sprayed some people behind them while coming on plane. They have Arneson surface drives so ones the boat gets to a certain level it shoots a lot of water in the air. I could not for the life of me believe this was intentional. Not these people. They said there were 30 to 40 people there while Stu screamed at them like little kids. They said they have been on 10 to 12 of Stu's runs and don't believe they will return. They also said if there were 150 boats with an average price of $1000 per boat to attend the run (extra crew $135 per person) That's $150,000. Stu should have more then one pace boat if its so much to handle that he screaming at his loyal very nice Paying customers! I believe rules should be followed, they are for everyones safety. But I also believe there are ways to deal with people without belittling them!

Rice Hauler 11-25-2003 09:29 PM

my .02 cents worth

Over the years I have had the opportunity and privledge of participating in my fair share of Poker Runs. Almost a dozen with FPC, a couple of OffShore Alley runs on Lake Erie and three LipShip Luau's. They each posses thier own unique flavor and allure.

None in my opinion are as Labor Intensive (for the organizer) or Navigation Intensive (to the Captain) as the FPC runs. Moving any kind of group safely through the waters of Biscayne Bay and the Keys is challenging. But 20-90 offshore's even in the best conditions would make most organizer's tear their hair out.

The Florida Marine Patrol take thier jobs pretty seriously and anything that could endanger Protected Areas, Marine Life, or the Environment, much less another boater is a big no-no.

I think that we often forget that while this is a hobby or vacation for us, it is Stu and his staff's livlihood. This is what they do for a living and if he or the club as a whole is cited, fined or censured by the Marine Patrol they're all out of a job. We screw up and go home and they all look for new work. Where's the justice in that.

It was not too many years ago on one of these runs that I was reprimanded on the high seas. Literally. In the middle of Hawks Channel Stu pulled us all up and idled us then for the next 5 mins over the radio (While I'm sure the other 10 captains and crews snickerd. "Those Damn Newbies") he explained to me rather colorfully that i was running to far starboard of the paceboat and if I continued I was in danger of running over a submerged reef and causing the whole club to be fined. Believe me my face was redder than the 1 in the logo of my new Cig. Did I deserve it HECK YES. Did I like it HELL NO. But I did not take it personally and to this day I am still grateful and consider myself a better boater for it.

Disrespect in any forum (even this one) is usually non productive and distasteful. Open gossip or non constructive criticism is even worse. I hope that for all involved that whatever happened they can step back in the light of day and look at things like gentlemen and maybe we'll all be better off for it.

I think that too often people misinterpret Stu's passion for Safety, the Marine Environment, the Atmosphere and Camraderie of the Club, and the desire for us all to have not just a good time but a GREAT ONE. For ire or that his Ass is just puckered up a little too much. Not True. Don't forget while we are all just trying to tie up next to our friends new Tiger with the twin 875's that won't idle. Stu and his crew are checking on the Helicopter's, the Photographer's, the Videographers the Caterer's the Fuel Docks and also checking to make sure that we all look great in the video and that our names, the names of our boats, and our crew, and wives and girfriends and mistresses are all spelled correctly. Oh and don't forget that card that we're all supposed to be picking up. (remember it's poker)

I think that Brad in post #18 said it well when he mentioned that if something bad happens it was an FPC event and not an individual boater. Also too we all voluntarily joined no one made us. It's his party and his rules apply, don't like it then don't come.

I personally hope that this is the last that we hear of anything pertaining to this year's Key West Races or whatever it was that they had down there.

I hope that we all have a good holiday and take time to be thankful for our blessings with our families loved ones and friends. I look forward to seeing you all at the Miami Boat Show Run until then...
Best,
Rice Hauler
a.k.a. Robert Shin

R Addiction 11-25-2003 10:25 PM

I also saw the TV show, and to keep it short if I spent "X" amount of dollars to do a Poker Run (we've done 4 to be exact) We attend the drivers meeting and follow the rules. If I were to break a rule during the course of the run then bring it to my attention. Talk about it and then forget it!!! If you get in my face then it gets ugly........who wins?

I was a member in a "Club" for such events and went to a meeting/party. The "president" of the club was starting to make a announcement and a few people were talking in the corner and he basically went off!!! I never went back and never participated in any of the clubs events. I "boat" because I enjoy it. I don't enjoy having people "power trip" and ruin the day.

Just my .02:)

OldSchool 11-26-2003 06:50 AM

Very well said, Rice Hauler. I agree with everything that you have said and I understand what a logistical nightmare putting on an event like a FPC Run must be. I'm sure that in these runs there are the "regulars" who do alot of these runs and know what to expect and there is always going to be "newbies", the people who have always wanted to do a run to the Keys or where ever. Egos get very large in this hobby of ours and there is a broad spectrum of personalities at all boating events. Add in speed, horsepower, hot women and booze and sooner or later there will be trouble.
I'm pretty good at following rules and if I broke one I would suck it up and apologize, but if someone got in my face screaming at me in front of 30-40 people for more than 10 seconds with their finger in my chest.....that's opening a can of azz whoopin' for someone!!

Craig

:)

hp500efi 11-26-2003 06:56 AM

If he is who everyone say's he is, then he certainly should be more classy than 'bumping chests', screaming, swearing etc to make his point.

If he runs this club as a business, then his actions should be even more mature because every attendant is a customer and you treat customers a certain way...pull them off to the side explain your concern and move on.

Everyone of our jobs has rules that we follow, if we mistakenly break one, I would expect my superior to approach me one on one to clarify what happened etc, and not embarass me in front of my co-workers yelling screaming etc. If it got to the point where the superior needed to bump my chest, point fingers, swear, spit in my face type attitude, it proves that he never grew up.

Keep the old customers happy because new ones are hard to find ;)

open87 11-26-2003 07:03 AM

so ,this thread started because someone was clocked
, some reponses said that stu looked fine . did he get in a scuffle or not? i posted what my perception was from the tv show and others posted the same, as that was their perception also. someone call stu and ask him to respond on this fourm to get his input and put it to rest:frog:

Tantrum 11-26-2003 07:20 AM

Well spoken Rice Hauler and you support what my initial reaction was
It is his JOB..............period
Yes there is alot of hard work that goes into the events but who doesnt work hard.
The guy, right or wrong, exchanged punches with a customer. That is WRONG in any managment book Ive ever read or morals/ethics I was raised with.
I think what is confussing some people posting here is that they think the FPC is a club. It is not it is a business.
Stu is not a volunteer he is an owner.

Dave M 11-26-2003 07:30 AM

Originally posted by cigarette1
... it was a little bit frightening ...

:crazy:

... they had expert timing? ....