Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fist Fight on Key West Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64573-fist-fight-key-west-poker-run.html)

DJD 11-26-2003 08:15 AM

Well said Rice hauler!!

PS: I spoke to a friend last night who was on the run.
He was close by & the story is a bit different than jetboatkids discription.

Stu is a stand up guy who puts so much into these runs.
He is very passionate about keeping EVERYTHING safe.
When I was a newbie, I was told I was running too far inside the pace boat & in danger of hitting an upcoming reef. He was looking after us, my boat and the marine enviroment & guess what, I never had a problem again.
For Stu to loose his temper & raise his voice, the people involved usually have been told multiple times to calm down & play by the rules.
How many times does he have to say it before someone wrecks their boat & hurts or kills someone?

Vyper340 11-26-2003 08:20 AM

Well said Rice Hauler.

Sean 11-26-2003 09:12 AM

I spoke to someone who was on the run also, and was told that stu SHOULD be pressing charges...

TopSpin80 11-26-2003 09:21 AM

Originally posted by THEJOKER
I know there are exceptions and alot of good people with expensive offshore performance boats but if you get a bunch of grown men in fast boats , get ready to battle egos! Hey Im rich , I run my company the way I want , I own this boat and I'll do what I want. Poker Runs - Offshore Races - it's all the same , the more expensive the boat usually the bigger ego. Why else would they buy such a money pit? The single engine guy's seem to be more grounded. Anyone agree? BH
I agree, but with the single engine theory. However I had a single engine 27 old excalibur with a blown 540 and ssm#3... It really makes the twin guys go crazy when you blow by them with a single in 2-4' chop. But you also have to be crazy like me to run like that in a smaller boat. The boat ran 98 and there aren't many twins that can hang with that, atleast not around here.

Ernie

ricklehe 11-26-2003 10:24 AM

Enough is enough!

I just spoke to Ed from the Sorcerer boat, he had a great time with FPC in Key West, never had a problem nor was he or anyone on his beautiful boat yelled at by Stu Jones. He said it was the best Key West Poker Run he has attended!

JetBoatKid, why are you telling lies? Anonymously....

Stu tries to keep the events safe, he does get very upset when a person drives erratically and endangers others peoples lives. People can get hurt fast!

Stu will make a statement, when he gets caught up from this huge event.

I would like to thank everyone who has supported Stu.

Thank you for joining us too!
Jackie

GLH 11-26-2003 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Jetboatkid
There has to be more to the story.

Originally posted by Jetboatkid
I heard Stu screamed on the radio, then very aggresivly approached the individual. Words were exchanged. The other person walked away. Stu started yelling ...>...he have still called the police? I heard the other guys attourny is Roy Black, and they are now going after Stu.
You obviously know more than you intoned in your first few posts. I for one prefer someone that is forthright and honest about assumptions, specially items like these. Acting like this will show your motives to be somewhat dubious on this board.

Last thing;
When you are in a fight, calling 911 should be the first thing you do as soon as you can catch your breath and dial to do it. Legally it will never hurt to be the first to report you were aggressed. This even if you knock the guy into the middle of next week and he his still chocking on his teeth, while you barely have a hang nail.

C_Spray 11-26-2003 10:39 AM

Originally posted by TopSpin80
....The guy that runs that show gets a little authority and abuses it. I'm used to the TOPPS poker run which is more of a free for all. If I had the money I would go down there and follow that poker run acting rowdy and causing chaos with that dude.
He is too strict and for what they say the entry fee is in that run you should be able to do as you please....

This is the scariest post I've ever seen on OSO.

Statements like this do more damage to the image of performance boaters in one shot than the rest of the OSO membership can undo in a year.

It's precisely this mentality (and this club's events) that have lead to the development of Poker Run rules and guidelines by the rest of the performance boat clubs and organizations. Now, don't get me wrong here - I'm sure that most of the club members are great people, I understand Texas is another country, independent from the rest of the Known Universe, and every club has the legal (if not moral) right to operate as they please, but think about these:

Jell-O shots at lunch
Standing up on the sunpad at speed
No vests
No killswitch lanyards
"Free-for-all"

Add performance boats to the mix, and.....

Strip Poker 388 11-26-2003 10:44 AM

From my experience Most of the time its a persons mouth that gets them in trouble.Never underestimate a person . You will usually get hurt.:eek:

Strip Poker 388 11-26-2003 10:46 AM

Originally posted by open72
hey joker- i'm with you , i belive that ego/i'm richer, i got the faster expensive toy mentality is all bull. don't impress me in the least. sure it would be nice to own a 46 skater but i live in real time in the real world and do not live above my means or try to be something i'm not. so with that being said, i am very grounded 28 cigarette open- single 540 trs drive and totally content. i would like to do a fpc run one day and know i would be the last one in the harbor and that's just fine by me :) :D

I see this on most poker runs and at the races :(

sgrady 11-26-2003 12:17 PM

Originally posted by DJD
Well said Rice hauler!!

PS: I spoke to a friend last night who was on the run.
He was close by & the story is a bit different than jetboatkids discription.

Stu is a stand up guy who puts so much into these runs.
He is very passionate about keeping EVERYTHING safe.
When I was a newbie, I was told I was running too far inside the pace boat & in danger of hitting an upcoming reef. He was looking after us, my boat and the marine enviroment & guess what, I never had a problem again.
For Stu to loose his temper & raise his voice, the people involved usually have been told multiple times to calm down & play by the rules.
How many times does he have to say it before someone wrecks their boat & hurts or kills someone?

I too have been on the KW run, and was told to "get over" and Stay back. It took once, Stu and I have never had an issue, great guy.