Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64639-pulling-45-sonic-excusion-nj-fl-any-thoughts.html)

Madcow 11-27-2003 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Black Thunder Boat
I I and the passenger are very lucky to be alive! I would NEVER pull a boat that size without a dually!
Again just my two cents!
Mike

They say you never need a dually until you NEED one. As for the insurance issue, when I rolled my Avalache last month one of the first thing the insurace company asked me was "what did the trailer weigh?" Im taking my 42 down to the factory next month and I'M borrowing a dually.

RedDog382 11-27-2003 10:57 PM

Pulled a Formula 382 from California to Ohio this summer. The Eagle trailer has "electric over hydraulic" brakes that are definately the cat's ass! I'm told that some states mandate trailers over a certain weight be equipped with this type of braking system. Now that I'm familiar with it, I wouldn't want to tow something that heavy without it.

RedDog382 11-27-2003 11:17 PM

Mad Cow,

What part of Florida will you be in and when are you leaving? I'll be in Tampa and then the keys after Christmas. Give me a call ... maybe we can hook up down there.

105mph_38_2003 11-28-2003 01:57 AM

I had a friend pull a 45 Sonic to Clear Lake from Conroe for labor day with a F250 6.0...Went 60 all the way and had a dually tow him back...That is only about 80 miles of flat freeway pulling.

I'm sure it can be done but personally I would;nt attempt it.

boot 11-28-2003 08:39 AM

Wow ! Thanks for all the input !

Yes , Towing and trucks are my life . Thats what I do . Things like tires , hitches , suspension , and brakes are a major concern to me everyday . I have tons of experience hauling things that are WAY too big ,and WAY too heavy . Just not with an excursion ......

The truck is a 2003 with 6 litre and new style trans . I HOPE it has E range tires ! The hitch is rated at 12,500 with weight distributing and yes I will be using that ! The trailer is a Broward 3 axle with electric brakes . He says he tows it alot localy (1-2 hours) without weigh dist. and it tows fine up the parkway at 70 . :rolleyes:

You guys are right ,almost every large boat on the road is being illegaly towed by a pickup truck . Not even a dualy could do this legaly .......

I'll have the rig here this weekend to service the trailer and take it for a test drive . We'll see how it feels and go from there . Hope fully I can get him to drain the fuel tanks . That would help .

If I go , I'll be going down the NJ purnpike to 95 . Can someone distract the pOlice officers please !!:p

Not sure what the boat weighs .I thought I saw 14,000 some where . I have towed my 39 expres cat behind my single wheel f350 from michigan .That weighs around 20,000 with trailer . No problem at all running 75-80 mph . It's all in the set up of the trailer . Of course the excusion is a BIG CREAM PUFF !:D (A little squishy , if you know what I mean !)

Thanks for all the input . BUt I think if Nort can pull the 54' Formula ,I shold be fine !!!!:eek: :D :D

Looney Tune 11-28-2003 08:52 AM

I hate to jump in on someone's thread but what vehicle would you reccomend to tow a 386 Sonic about 9000lbs Dry? We are talking maybe three to four trips a year all within 150 miles. Trailer hs electric brakes.

offshore score 11-28-2003 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Black Thunder Boat
I thought I would give you my two cents. I was pulling my 43ft Black Thunder to LOTO with a F 350 PSD crew cab. It was not a dually. It was raining and I lost traction and had to put the truck into the ditch. Long story short, totaled the truck and my 43ft Black Thunder and I and the passenger are very lucky to be alive! I would NEVER pull a boat that size without a dually!
Again just my two cents!
Mike

I saw pics of that mess!!!

animalhouse 11-28-2003 12:23 PM

I used to tow our 37 Outerlimits Fish Boat with an Excursion Diesel. I needed air bags, but other than that no problems.

I did notice the truck all over the road when passing or being passed by a Larger Truck or bus.

Watch 95 South of Jacksonville, alot of uneven roadways and construction. The trailer wheels get caought in th "rut" and gets a little squirly.

boot 11-28-2003 01:35 PM

looney toon , To do it right , at least a HEAVY DUTY 3/4-1 ton truck . Single wheel would work OK if the trailer is set up right . Make sure what ever truck you get has the heavy duty packages on it . They all say they do ,but make sure they show you on paper . Like many have stated , legaly you need to watch what the truck is rated to carry .But most trucks will do .

105mph_38_2003 11-28-2003 02:13 PM

Anyone have any opinion on tandem duals instead if tri-axle for a 35'-40' boat? I was told that 2 5000# axles are easier to pivot and pull over 3 3500# axles...Just curious if any better or worse.