Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   im in love with a pair of exhausts... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64775-im-love-pair-exhausts.html)

glassdave 11-28-2003 02:13 PM

are there any other views of the one from post #1. im just curious as to how the other tubes come around. the left bank apears to have tubes going into both collectors. looks pretty wild. :cool: :cool:

actually when i first saw it i thought it looked PhotoShoped :D

Sonic30ss 11-28-2003 03:42 PM

They look like the old Can-Am 180 degree headers

timucin 11-28-2003 05:41 PM

nope ; dont have any other view

C_Spray 11-29-2003 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Sonic30ss
They look like the old Can-Am 180 degree headers
Bingo. You win the cookie. By crossing the correct pipe from one bank over to the other side and arranging them sequentially in the collector, you get a pair of even-firing exhaust systems. this allows you to use the pressure pulses from each cylinder to extract the exhaust gases from the next cylinder. The concept is similar to the tuned-pipe approach on 2-strokes and has been around for a long time. Ford used them on their GT program in the 60's. It IS worth more power, but they're (obviously) tricky to make and work around.

Oh - They sound AWESOME, too...

puder 11-29-2003 02:02 PM

c spray that is badass!!!!!

i though at firstit was justa looks hting now that i find out its functional those things kick ass!!!!!!

timucin 02-19-2004 09:54 AM

i couldnt stop myself and called cmi today.waiting their response...

Lee 02-19-2004 10:09 AM

Originally posted by C_Spray
Bingo. You win the cookie. By crossing the correct pipe from one bank over to the other side and arranging them sequentially in the collector, you get a pair of even-firing exhaust systems. this allows you to use the pressure pulses from each cylinder to extract the exhaust gases from the next cylinder. The concept is similar to the tuned-pipe approach on 2-strokes and has been around for a long time. Ford used them on their GT program in the 60's. It IS worth more power, but they're (obviously) tricky to make and work around.

Oh - They sound AWESOME, too...

Bundle of Snakes:)

jrz 02-19-2004 10:16 AM

These headers were a "Engineering Exercise" we did before our first Miami boat show display, I believe in 96 or 97. The problem at the time was the primary length needed to get the collector behind the distributor. The 180 balance of the engine did not offset the effect of the long 40" plus length.

jrz 02-19-2004 10:23 AM

They were built for the old anything goes class one engines. Now for a race engine with no dist. and our CAD experience it might work, but prepare for sticker shock.

C_Spray 02-19-2004 10:24 AM

This is a bundle of snakes:

1 Attachment(s)
Ford Indy V8 from late 60's/early 70's. Interesting engine, because the intake ports are in the top of the head between the camshafts, and the exhaust ports face the vee. Makes for a nice, small (but hard to make) exhaust system.