Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How big a boat for the gulf? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64817-how-big-boat-gulf.html)

mcollinstn 11-27-2003 09:40 PM

I crossed from Panama City to Clearwater in a 53' Hatteras with full gyro controlled hydraulic stabilizers. On THAT day, I was on FAR too small of a boat for any sort of COMFORT. 100 degrees and spray hammering the flybridge enclosure so hard I couldn't unzip any of the windows. I drove for 8 hours in my boxers covered in sweat (from the heat). Trying to drive downstairs in the A/C was TOO nauseating. Had to be where I could see the horizon at all times or else it was pukeytime.

Mates brought me food a couple of times but spent most of their time laying in their bunks (if you wedge your body in the corner of your bunk, close your eyes, and keep your head horizontal it's not bad at all).

And this wasn't any sort of storm, just bad windy day. And there was no sfety issue, as the boat is a tank. It was just hard on us humans.

As has been mentioned, the Gulf can be like glass, but if it kicks up you want to be in something that you can get home in without filling it with puke or pounding your passengers into a boat-hating future.

Donzi Corleone 11-28-2003 01:42 PM

30 to 36 ft. in whatever is perfect for the gulf.The east coast is a whole different story. As for the water going bad,yeah it can but if you watch the weather prior to venturing out you should be fine.Unless its the summer,then things happen quick and get real ugly.The 24 will be good most of the time,but if you like to WOT,it will be bouncing for sure.

cuda 11-28-2003 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Speed2Lead
The 24 will be good most of the time,but if you like to WOT,it will be bouncing for sure.
Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that only knew WFO when he had a 22Zx! :D

otis311 11-28-2003 02:08 PM

I ran a 29 footer around and I found you had to pick and choose your days on the gulf. I am from NY and come down to use the boat 3-4 times a winter. So picking and choosing days iwasnot an option, I want to boat every day I am down there, So 29 ' wasnt big enough for me. I went with a 38'

GLH 11-28-2003 07:04 PM

Originally posted by OTIS311
I... I went with a 38'
Yahh it's a pretty lite 38' also since there are no engines in it. It'll kick rear end in a soap box derby if he finds a lake with a hill on it. :D:D:D

dawezel 11-28-2003 08:11 PM

After reading your comments and giving it some more thought, I think I'm going to be in the market for a 38 Cig once I get to FL. If I go with something smaller and my wife still complains about the ride, I'll be wishing I got the Cig. If she still complains about the Cig, at least then I face the fact that she's destined for a lonely life on land.

GLH 11-28-2003 08:23 PM

Can't beat that Cig ride.

cuda 11-28-2003 08:44 PM

Agreed, if money isn't a problem, you can't go wrong with a Top Gun. Check into a 382 Formula also, great ride.

otis311 11-28-2003 08:44 PM

GL, IF THE TIDE AND THE CURRENTS ARE RUNNING WITH THE WIND YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED HOW GOOD SHE RUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GLH 11-28-2003 08:54 PM

Bob :D