If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: big tunnels

Question big tunnels

Looking at a 26 american offshore. How do the big tunnels act at crusing speed 30-50mph? would it be any good at all pulling an occasional tube or two? any input would be appriciated. hear its wide open or idle (no inbetween) in this boat. Thanks Brian.

My Boats:
    1990 Donzi Sweet 16
    At the office.

What kind of waters will you be boating in?

In general the faster you go in a cat the better everthing becomes. A tube behind any cat is going to be a very wet tube!
    Last edited by SS930; 12-02-2003 at 07:45 AM.

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    No, it's not wide open or idle. It sounds like you'd be looking at a pretty mild combination. A 502 will top out in the mid 70's. That would give you a cruise in the range that you are looking at. At those speeds the tunnel won't have very much of an air pack so it will never really get loose. The boat will tend to suck down and feel kinda heavy. At 30 mph the boat will drag and wallow. The only time this doesn't happen is when you are coming down off a speed run with a really nice air pack. Then the boat will run on top of the water down to about 20 or so.

As for pulling a tuber, the boat will work fine, just prop down a little bit. You proably will have a deep x-dim so planing will be ok (just don't try to go water skiing, there is too much tunnel suction).
    Last edited by Cord; 12-01-2003 at 11:36 AM.

My Boats:
    '97 Scarb Thunder, '06 Formula 330ss for sale
    Tulsa, OK, Grand, Beaver, LOTO
    It can be done but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I've had an inboard towboat for yrs and have enjoyed all the watersports behind this boat.

Many people just do not know better and tow tubes at ridiculous speeds.- 20 is max and will provide plenty of action- especially when "whipping" where the tube is flying much faster than boat speed. Faster than this, combined with the usual whipping action and you are asking for injuries to kids family or friends.

My 25' Daytona is mushy at 30, starts to be connected at 35-40 and is at best in the 50-60 range for cruising. Though I've not done it, I know experienced skiers who will ski behind 25 daytona's. All other types of boarding and tubing are best at the 20 and under range, where a cat this size will be off plane and awkward. Most IO boats -including v-hulls) are pigs til they roll over at about 20-22 mph.

Good luck- and both my inboard and cat are for sale- that will solve all your needs

Thumbs up big tunnel

Thanks for the input guys. let yall know what happens. Would like to sell my baja before i buy another but dont know if i can weight that long. Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images